Friday, November 17, 2017

fangirl post 2051

while BTS takes over US media at the moment as they spend
their week in LA and at the American Music Awards
(once again breaking barriers, wooooh clapclap),
I thought I'd blog about Baepsae --
the song I'd meant to talk about waaay earlier and rave about
but then withheld because I didn't want to appear too crazy a fan --
but now I realise it's far too late cause it's pretty much obvious
how much of a general nutso I am, and
how I love this group to pieces; so what the heck:

here's Baepsae.



The reason I'm blogging about Baepsae -- and it's not a new song of theirs either;
is because it's the song that made me a fan. I've realised this upon looking back.
I've been trying to figure that out, you see -- like, where was the turning point?

My first taste of BTS (as it was for many people) was the Dope MV that spread like a slow, steady fire on the internet (end 2015-ish). I can't recall anymore how I stumbled on it; probably from a reaction video, that led me to the actual video. I recall specifically being blown away by the dancing, the energy, and the put-togetherness of the whole video. It was so well-done, I'd never seen anything like it; I just kept rewatching that single video again, and again. But after a while... I drifted away from it -- was never a music person per se, much less a kpop person, you see. (Although yes, Big Bang fan here -- up until the point BTS took over my fan-life, for a good 4 years or so, my ringtone was Big Bang's Haru Haru; hehe, now it's BTS's Cypher Part 4's opening beat.)

And then YouTube feed (the way all social networks work in this day and age) informs me of a new BTS song called Fire. So very quickly, I was back at marveling at the wonder and talent of this group. They are so good at singing these great energetic songs and mesmerising us with their dancing in these beautiful music videos. But at this point, I was still a distance away from it all, until... I came across Baepsae.

I distinctly recall walking back from work and listening to Baepsae, and thinking, ohmygoddd, what is this amazing, addictive beat! And then I looked up the lyrics -- and it was ohhhhmygoddd, what they're saying is awesome! They're basically anti-establishment underdogs, who tell you to fight for your dreams; and the metaphors they use!

yes, so what I'm a crow-tit, you're a stork -- I'll try, I'll fight the system you have here that privileges you, you put us down all the time, but you'll see, we'll make it, and we'll win. After that point, I became voracious with BTS content. I'd figured, they were my thing. This is the kind of stuff I like! They are wonderful. They say amazing things but are cool, and hip, and on top of it all, sweet, and nice, and humble, and lovely young people, who emulate great teamwork and friendship.

Now they're making history. I'm such a big fan of their work, and I'm actually really curious as to how they will keep up that image of fighting the wrongs of the system, now that they're slowly peaking in the music industry. It's easy to sing about being underdogs, and being downtrodden, when you are underdogs, but now? That's the true test, right? What will you do now that you're in a position of power and influence. (As I say this I realise they just joined UN recently for an #EndViolenceAgainstChildren campaign recently, so yay, doing me proud so far.)


The true measure of influence of a piece of art/entertainment, I feel,
is the extent of fan activity that is generated.
(I bear witness to the blooming of HP fandom online since the early days of the internet.
E and I sometimes reminisce on the good old days when there were basically only 2-3 websites for HP fans*, and fanfiction was decent and contained within www.fanfiction.net.)

so anyway, I found these amazing acoustic English covers of BTS songs!



---

*who remembers the internet days of HP Galleries, Sugar Quill, and Gryffindortower.net? haha. I remember coming home from school and visiting those few places on a fairly daily basis for updates. oh, good old fangirling days.



and just, finally to finish, 
Crowley gives a good opinion here, heheh:

No comments: