Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Finally got to start on my personal KonMari project today,
having taken substantial time away from work.

And my gosh, this is like a war, and today was just the first of many battles. I am exhausted physically, mentally, and emotionally. And this will likely go on for months, if not the rest of the year. Because KonMari-ing is not just about tidying up; it's about a lifestyle change. It's about living well, materially, and hopefully that will have good effects internally and in other unforeseen ways.

I was right to make this the one and only goal for my entire year.
Insya Allah, success in this will spill over into other little goals as bonuses.


Most people realise that clutter is caused by too much stuff. But why do we have too much stuff? Usually it is because we do not accurately grasp how much we actually own. And we fail to grasp how much we own because our storage methods are too complex. The ability to avoid excess stock depends on the ability to simplify storage.

...

When you treat your belongings well, they will always respond in kind. For this reason, I take time to ask myself occasionally whether the storage space I've set aside for them will make them happy. Storage, after all, is the sacred act of choosing a home for my belongings.

-- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying, by Marie Kondo


To a future of being a better steward to my possessions. 
It's part of showing gratitude right.

Nabi s.a.w. would approve surely, insya Allah.



Speaking of which, hehe, a segue: tonight we had our typical mini family squabble / argument / conversation -- and my dad was going into his whatever-men-are-not-supposed-to-do-that mode and annoying my sister to frak because apparently he never did share the load of baby-care-giving when we were babies. 

But a simple interjection of, "What would Nabi do?" was enough, because you know he s.a.w. would totally be on board with helping out his wife (i.e. Sayidatina Khadijah with whom he had all his kids, I think...) with his babies. 

To which my dad's response was only, "Yeah well, that's Nabi..."

The argument is won though. And my dad did say nothing more. 

I was so internally delighted at having realised this formula -- anytime a man (or anyone, really) gets insufferable, just remind them, what would Nabi do? And the problem would be settled. Because who better to show us the way than the best man to ever walk the earth.


Ya Rasulullah, I love you so much, 
my heart feels full to bursting at times in awe of you.
You truly are a gift to all womankind, and to all humanity.

No comments: