Sunday, January 29, 2017

"The stars mean different things to different people. For some they are nothing more than twinkling lights in the sky. For travellers they are guides. For scholars they are food for thought. For my businessman they are wealth. But for everyone the stars are silent. Except from now on just for you..."

"What do you mean?"

"When you look up at the sky at night, since I shall be living on one of them and laughing on one of them, for you it will be as if all the stars were laughing. You and only you will have the stars that can laugh!"

And as he said it he laughed.

"And when you are comforted (time soothes all sorrows) you will be happy to have known me. You will always be my friend. You will want to laugh with me. And from time to time you will open your window, just for the pleasure of it... And your friends will be astonished to see you laughing whilst gazing at the sky. And so you will say to them, 'Yes, stars always make me laugh.' And they will think you are crazy. I shall have played a very naughty trick on you..."

And once again he laughed. 

"It will be as if I had given you, instead of stars, a lot of little bells that can laugh..."

-- The Little Prince, Antoine De Saint-Exupery


I had a quick re-read of this. It's so lovely -- and here I am thinking, wait a minute, is A Little Prince partly a love story? He travels around to so many other planets, meeting strange grown-ups, only to finally learn that his rose is his rose because he made it his rose. We put meaning where we wish it. We see God if we want to see God. We see nothing if we are adamant that there is nothing.

Like the fox said,

"Now here is my secret. 
It is very simple. 

It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. 
What is essential is invisible to the eye."



I should go see this animated movie too.

No comments: