Thursday, February 16, 2017


Excuse me, but I will continue to be a relentless ARMY (i.e. a BTS fan) for the next few weeks because I'm still so high on their latest song release and they still have an upcoming music video next week, and we're all waiting in anticipation. 

And then today, I decided to finally look up the lyrics of one of my favourite BTS side tracks called Whalien 52, and I realise it's literally about a whale!  (okay, it's a metaphor for loneliness etc as well -- Rap Monster, you genius boy, you continue to astound me.)


There's a great mammal in the ocean known as the 52 hertz whale. All year he practices his love song for the female. Travels thousands of miles to find her. But when he finally gets the chance to serenade her, she doesn't give him a call back.

Why? His love ballad is sung at 52 hertz. A sonic signature, one note higher than the lowest sound of the tuba. The average female hears at 10 to 15 hertz. So she never hears his song. They call him the lonely whale. And year after year, for a hundred years, he works out a new love song but he never ever gets a call back. Eventually he dies off, forever alone. Heartbreaking.

-- Gil Grissom, CSI


Apparently, this is a real whale that has been boggling scientists, and BTS sings about it! For a long time now, I've loved this song and didn't really think when they said "whey" these adorable Korean boys literally meant "whale" (darlings, your English diction, save for RapMon's, needs to improve) and god -- they have a song about a whale! It's the cutest thing! The song is bouncy with a tinge of gravity/melancholia and very thoughtful (if such a combination can exist, and I think in general this is a standard feel of BTS songs.)


The message of the song:
like the whale, I'm feeling lonely and feel like no one will hear me,
but hey, I'll keep singing my song cause I believe one day, someone will!


lonely lonely lonely whale
I sing to myself...
This song that receives no reply
I sing till it reaches someone tomorrow

No comments: