Monday, February 13, 2017

💜



love this.

so beautiful!
before I even knew the meaning of the lyrics,
this song and video did things to my heart.


edit:

I decided to get "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" -- the short story by Ursula K. Le Guin which part/most/all of the music video was apparently based on (Omelas is the name of the motel that features in the video) -- because I really was not satisfied with my analysis and understanding of the music video without having a full picture of the story. I mean, I had read a synopsis of it, but I felt like it wasn't enough. So then while on the bus to work I quickly looked it up on Kindle and omgggggg, Kindle has felt the effects of BTS too because do you see them suggesting Demian as well (the book the previous music video was based on, which I read too of course), ahahahhhhhh. 😆 Not to mention that the actual short story was part of a compilation of short stories but suddenly Kindle is selling this Omelas story solo, which will only be available tomorrow, a day after the release of the Spring Day video???



It appears to be a pattern now that every music video will have a book/story behind it -- so we don't just have music enthusiasts now but book nerds like me obsessing about them. This is really pushing the idea of entertainment to a whole new level, that's what they're doing. You don't just get a new song, you get a story, a video, most of the time a dance as well, and a political statement. I am digging this so much too, because it's what I've started to do with our book club for the books we read or select: we read, we listen to related lectures, we watch movie adaptations or related documentaries, and we discuss. It is awesome. And isn't that happening here too with this amazing boyband. Multimodal consumption.




After watching Spring Day now don't-know-how-many-times, and reading tweets and reviews, I'm suddenly realising now the full breadth of meaning in this video and it is staggering me. And the fact that genius and philosophical Rap Monster wrote the lyrics is not surprising but I don't know, still leaves me in awe -- gasp gasp gasp, people are saying it might be in reference to the Korean Sewol Ferry Incident or in opposition to child labour in general because of the laundry metaphors in the video (ahahah seriously the mountain of laundry) or in a nutshell, what BTS is saying is -- yes, we are enjoying our lives but hey, we have moments, some of us more than others, when we realise that the ease and luxury we feel here is perhaps at the expense of others who are suffering in the world, and hey, we want to be on the side of those people. You Never Walk Alone (i.e. the name of their new album remix). 💜

Their production company must be filled with geniuses who then selected off the streets genius talented boys and produced this genius talented group with heart and brain and brawn and cool moves and gorgeous looks -- where is the catch, people! How can this group be so perfect.

---

the obsession continues with us fans.
the theories are endless and leaves my head in a spin.




Also, the short story "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" is a disconcerting piece
-- I don't know, I feel stressed after reading it! 😔  Here's an excerpt:

They all know it is there, all the people of Omelas. Some of them have come to see it, others are content merely to know it is there. They all know that it has to be there. Some of them understand why, and some do not, but they all understand that their happiness, the beauty of their city, the tenderness of their friendships, the health of their children, the wisdom of their scholars, the skills of their makers, even the abundance of their harvest and the kindly weathers of their skies, depend wholly on this child's abominable misery.



I love love love how all the pieces and threads of meaning are weaved together in this beautiful music video.

2 comments:

atiqah said...

where got gorgeous looks one.

Shamiah said...

you blind is it.