Saturday, September 13, 2014

One of my school-age kids, in the middle of session today, suddenly said, in all seriousness:


"... Can I say something?"

"Yes, you can, of course."

"You know... I am dyslexic."

(At this point, I was so over-whelmed by how adorable it was, I could barely contain from gushing over him in front of his face. I love these kids. Oh, honey, of course I know you're dyslexic -- it's all over your case file.)

"Yes, I saw that... How's that going?"

"I go to DAS now, every Saturday."


And I let him tell me a little bit about how he's learning to read every week. If they only realised how awesome they are, these kids -- instead of feeling like they had some terrible terminal disease. And even kids who have terminal illnesses, they shouldn't feel like they're inadequate or less worthy.

The way he said it, like he was telling me something disappointing about himself. Oh gosh, I wanted to hug him. So rare to have such highly-cognitive sparks on my caseload who can actually articulate the emotional turmoil they go through.

No comments: