Monday, April 07, 2014

Favourite line from today: "Car is so cool."

When your kid can't say much, and he says that -- ohmygod, GOLD.

---

Been listening more to Tim Winters's lectures (mostly cause I have exhausted every inch of cyberspace that is related to Shaykh Hamza), and had a nice reminder:

The believer is happy in the moment. La khaufun 'alaihim wa laa hum yahzanun. He does not fear the future, nor does he grieve the past.

I think that shall be my running mantra for the rest of this year.

---


LYMOND SPOILERS


I don't know if it's cause I'm much older or what, but the subtle yet insane romance in Checkmate is killing me.

It's to the point of ridiculousness!



Their letters to each other for instance.

Francis's letter to Philippa ends with,

"I have tried not to reach you, in this way or another, by any disfiguring sentiment. You know, I think, that my feelings on this are quite different.

I am thou thy selfe."


And Philippa ends her reply to that letter with,

"I have told you the work of my hands. The place of my thoughts you may know by now. For yours, the doors of this kingdom is open by day and by night if you will lend them to me."


It's like, it is not apparent at first how in love they are, but heck, are you listening to what they're saying to each other? It's ridiculous how romantic it is! They keep up appearances too -- he tells her what's happening in the battlefield, what needs to be done etc etc and she tells him what's happening on the estate etc etc and then, they simply finish their letters like that. RIDICULOUS; it makes me want to clutch my head in incredulity. This is how gorgeous and beautiful romance is written, people! It's in the subtleties and the little things.

I badly need to finish this book so I can stop this sap. Beautiful sap, but sap still.

No comments: