Saturday, April 28, 2012

hello, weekend! I have missed you. And yes, I understand now how you are best friends with all who slog in the system. (Though technically, being only semi-working, I have stuff to study/work on during the weekend, ugggh.)

This morning I chatted online with a friend for a little -- and her life, gosh, I feel so jealous. I don't feel compelled to elaborate, but basically: that she's close to God, and when you're close to God, miracles happen.

---

SPOILERS!

Let me go back to reviewing The Princess' Man which I fangirl-ed about numerous times previously. Like I said, its ending was a bit problematic for me, but the thing is -- the OTP was unbelievable. And it would have won even if every other element of the story failed (which wasn't the case at all). The pairing was basically the most agonized love story I've ever witnessed in a drama. And I have had my fair share of reading or watching painful stories.

Step aside, Romeo and Juliet; what do you know of being trapped in an ill-fated love. Seung Yu and Se Ryeong went through hell and more; and they're not stupid teenagers who ended up killing themselves! How awesome is that. They're a smart and gorgeous pair of young adults who, because of evil circumstances, had their just-budding love slowly die under the greater forces of politics, family loyalty and personal morals. Off the top of my head, I really can't think of a love in fiction (or otherwise) that's as painful as this.

Okay, Lymond and Philippa are pretty insane too, but I don't know, the situation didn't seem as hellish as that of Seung Yu and Se Ryeong. Lymond was being whiny and all "You don't want me. I am bad for you, a bastard son full of disgrace. I am a hunchback whelped in the gutter." and then Philippa decided to join him in the gutter; but then she's like, "I'm sorry, I've created another problem for us. I can't be with you... as a woman." And poor Lymond's all broody and not complete -- it's a lot of personal melodrama between the two of them. Which can be big issues on its own, don't get me wrong, but it seems petty when compared to the pain that Seung Yu and Se Ryeong faced. Seung Yu basically almost went off the mental edge hating her so hard and loving her so hard at the same time, because he couldn't bear it that her father killed his family. He's also driven by his integrity and need to see justice for all the wrongs. And she's all like, "I understand. So please, I don't mind if I die by your hand. I would die a thousand times if it gives you peace." LIKE SERIOUSLY, bash our hearts to bits, drama, why don't you. And Se Ryeong can't help it if she still loves her evil father, because dang it, you only have one father, no matter how evil! Even if you know your father is wrong, how do you bring yourself to kill him?


Here's the original sound track for the drama with accompanying tragic scenes of this doomed pairing.

No comments: