Monday, November 29, 2010

I've been slowly trying to get my room in order -- clearing old stuff, and old textbooks I now know I won't need -- like physics and C++, for instance. (I am still wondering how to successfully sell them off.) And I also happily found my old rubbish birthday surprise. This was one of the many elaborate birthday plans that we birds threw for each other. It's basically a bin filled to the brim with odes and poems and other knick-knacks. And I have to say, it's probably my favourite, because of how crazy it was and how I had to lug a rubbish bin all the way home on the train, much to the amusement of my silly, idiotic but lovable friends. I also had a laugh reading stuff like this (it's embarrassing, but what the heck, it's funny and this was so long ago):

Her hair, oh my Shammy's hair!
Under all the shampoo's care,
Silkier than the hide of a mare,
Smoother than the skin of a pear,
Such fine hair is indeed so rare,
And with the accessories she wears,
Standing in the sun's full glare,
Wonderful - my Shammy's hair.


Her voice, oh my Shammy's voice!
Melodious as dryads from the soil.
Differentiates her from her decoys,
Attracts to her both bees and boys.
Just add that to her nice old poise,
When sad, it causes eyes to moist.
No detractor will make a noise,
Whenever I praise my Shammy's voice.

Shammy is probably my least favourite nickname. In fact, have I ever liked it? Haha, I think it was probably the fact that I hated it that it stuck. -.- And now, when I think of how we keep lumping all our birthday celebrations at one time or simply demand wishlists from each other just to make things more convenient in terms of present-hunting -- it's just kinda, meh... sad. but oh well! Growing up means we have to work and be responsible and be sensible and do fewer silly things. Fewer silly things; not necessarily none. eheheheheh. (okay, you don't have to read into this, duck.)

---
spoilers! for How I Met Your Mother

I was watching random episodes of How I Met Your Mother, in which Robin had started dating a new dude called Don, and Ted and Barney started getting jealous and decided to attempt to break up the new couple. Only to have Robin confront them and plead, "You guys, please! What we have is real."

It made me go, "Heeeeehhhh." -_________- Why is it that we rarely ever think about what we mean when we say things.

What did Robin mean when she said it was real. Were Ted and her not real? Were Barney and her not real? And I am not arguing about this in defence of Barney or Ted; I'm just trying to point out what humans are unconsciously in search of in our lives i.e. something real. Like, you know, countless romantic movies especially, would have these characters becoming desperate or having epiphanies and going like, "This is real." or "What we have is real." or "She's the real thing." What do people mean when they say such things, right? I'm thinking... this real is something that lasts, something you can count on regardless, and something almost magical in its quality. Something you can't explain but leaves you in awe.

I was listening to a SHY lecture on the Arabic language in which it was expounded that Arabic is a language of revelation, and that learning the intricacies of the language would unveil the meanings of the elements in our lives. And wonders upon wonders, the word in Arabic that means real or true is haq which is derived from one of the names of God, Al-Haq. God is The Real. And that's how you know something is real or true -- if it's from God. In fact, the only reality is God. Like that poet who got a nod of approval from Rasulullah s.a.w. for saying, Isn't it that everything other than God is falsehood?

So that maybe, deep down in our souls, if we're willing to admit it, we're all in search of the real, the God.

3 comments:

atiqah said...

He's SHY, now?

And I know right, about the nicknames that you don't like = the ones that stick with you.

Shamiah said...

yes, tiki the kenit. :) SHY is an easy acronym when I'm lazy to spell.

Duck said...

Ohno. I think that horrifying (in terms of it's literary quality) poem was contributed by yours truly.

*goes off to hide in a hole*