Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Warning: Lymond Fan Raving

I am in my I-need-my-Lymond-fix mood. You know, I realise, crap, I miss Lymond like crazy and wonder where my days of comfortable fangirling over English (haha) books have gone, and spazzing over wonderfully crafted phrases and profound lines. When will I ever have the time to reread Lymond? I feel like it's never going to happen or something.

Oh God, I feel old again. I feel like I'm being swept up by this horrible tide into the future, but I'm nowhere near ready or willing.

Anyway, before I ramble nonstop about incomprehensible feelings of girl-to-adult-woman transition, let me get back to my Lymond spaz: I went quote-hunting again. But of course, there isn't a one-stop place to find my favourite quotes. Which led me to silly fantasies of building my own database of Lymond quotes. Some day, when I have mastered SQL and database hosting and whatever else that comes with it, I might just have a Lymond quotes database (on top of the one million other silly ideas I have for databases). Some people are planning their path to their first paycheck or a house or a car or a family, and I am dreaming of a quotes database -- someone give me a reality check, please.

Anyway. This is funny. I can't decide which part to quote exactly, but her full review is here at her blog:

The first half or so of The Ringed Castle

I have no idea what the holy fuck is going on in Russia. I don’t care about any of this set of characters enough to try and figure out. Can we please get back to Philippa now? You know, where the plot we actually care about is occurring?

Don’t you dare kill Adam Blacklock. He’s sensitive. Leave him alone, you big bullies.

Lymond’s sex drive makes even less sense than his other motivations, but it’s especially random here. He and Guzel put off sleeping together until… Lymond is in charge of Russia? Being in charge of Russia is Guzel’s kink? Is it only Guzel’s kink, or does Lymond get off on it, too? I have no idea. This is both the most graphic sex scene and the most inexplicable relationship in the series thus far.

Also, Lymond is being voluntarily and (I think?) relatively non-angstily gay - but I think Venceslas is supposed to be like, twelve. Shouldn’t Lymond have a gigantic complex about that, after what happened to Khaireddin? Is Lymond even supposed to like sex? Why do the other characters talk about his sex life so much? (Aside from the obvious.) Why are most of his relationships either non-consensual, off-screen, or invented by other people? Has anyone written a paper about this? Did Dunnett Even Actually Know Where She Was Going With This One?: Lymond’s Confusing Sex Life and The Ringed Castle’s Kinda-Weakness.


I agree about the first half of Ringed Castle for me being all bleagh-can-we-get-back-to-Philippa-please! Haha.

Also, because I watched a bit of High School Musical 3 with my sis tonight (with numerous outbursts of laughter and audible smacks from face-palming at the utter sap and corniness), and found a line I really surprisingly liked:

I feel like I know you on a vibe-y level.

:D

No comments: