Monday, July 20, 2009

I just felt like I should post something although I'm not really in the mood. I think I had something bad to eat last night, so I was a bit under the weather today. I skipped my admin service hours at Mendaki and slept half the day away. An upset stomach, coupled with the hectic weekend, really paid its toll on me.

So anyway, yes, Kaktiyah finally got married. All in all, the ceremony went smoothly and Kaktiyah was all smiles and happy tears, so we were all equally happy. I'd brought my photoprinter for the reception table like we planned but there was no power point nearby so I haven't yet printed the photos for the guestbook. I thought I'd get to it today, but I kept visiting the toilet and falling into fits of sleep, so I gave up. My head is still throbbing lightly. I plan to sleep early tonight.

I've been steadily reading through Jodi Picoult's Keeping Faith. It's not a fantastic story (hell, it reads a bit like fanfiction to me :s) and most of it is amazingly predictable, but the whole concept of God has always been able to keep me interested. I think, in general, very few people can take the topic of God and create a very novel and compelling story. Also, being Muslim and all, I resent how non-Muslims always think they know all about Islam when in most cases, they don't at all. Knowing the word Allah, for instance, means nothing. -_-

HP6 Movie Spoilers.

Also, I have of course watched the HP6 movie. And am hoping to watch it again with my mum sometime soon. I was very much disappointed when I exited the cinema - none of the special things I liked about Book 6 was replicated well enough in the movie; nothing about the history of the Slytherin family and how Voldie is virtually the last living descendant; about Voldie's muggle origins; and barely anything substantial about Snape's past as a genius potions student and how he is the half-blood prince. Also, while the Ginny/Harry relationship development may not have been perfectly executed in the books, I'd always rooted for them and loved Ginny. Bonnie Wright as Ginny in this movie was quite painful to watch. She was so incredibly stiff (I'm trying to decide now who's worse, her or Meisa) and there was barely any chemistry to speak of. Everything was so forced. But moving on from all the blunders of the romance department, I'd say that the teenage Tom Riddle was awesome. Who was that boy??? I swear I've seen him somewhere before but I can't place him; but the point is, his depiction of a young and still unscarred Tom/Voldemort was chilling and impressive. I was thinking, Yes, this is how I imagined a young Voldemort - so enticingly dangerous! He had subtlety in his acting (the right kinds of glances and pauses), which sad to say, was lacking in every other member of the young cast. Granted, Emma Watson was less screechy as Hermione, but she still needs to learn subtlety. Other saving graces include the expectedly nice special effects, the Death Eaters as a whole (although at times I think they're playing up Bellatrix too much), Tom Felton's rather convincing portrayal of a distraught Draco and Dumbledore's moment of death was quite well done too, I think.

I'm excited already about watching it again because I want to go in with lower expectations now, and reassess the movie. :)

Okay, I looked the boy up - he's called Frank Dillane and has only acted once before in Welcome to Sarajevo (1997) with his father Stephen Dillane. Other people on IMDB seem to think he was creepy as hell in the HP6 movie too. :P Man, this boy is one to watch.

No comments: