Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I was doing my bioinformatics research on epigenetics and I found a scientific paper on the study of the 'magic' gene (as in the context of JK Rowling's Harry Potter universe) by some Oxford University people. Seriously. I just wanted to laugh and laugh and laugh, because WHAT. HAHA. What is the point of it!!! XD Is it a frigging joke???????? It must be! It's like this group of biologists were damn bored and then decided to spice up their dreary report-writing days and play a prank or something.

Don't believe me? Here are snapshots. And you can go look them up yourself on google scholar. Apparently, they theorise on the existence of an epigenetic magical enhancer that acts on the chromatin of pureblood wizards, thereby activating their magic gene. @.@ I swear. HP fans are pervasive, and just plain mad at times. To think they'd write a paper on the magic gene.


On second thought. I wish I'd done this myself. :P It must have been super fun to have written this paper. I'd thought much about the magic gene too. I mean, if you like biology, you just tend to think like that. Wondering how the genetics worked. Awesome lah.

"Magic is not a dichotomous trait; we prefer the idea of magical ability, a quantitative attribute, ranging from the talents of Albus Dumbledore, Harry’s headmaster at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, to the relative ineptitude of Crabbe and Goyle, the sidekicks of Harry’s nemesis Draco Malfoy. Magical ability also seems to be genetically determined, with familial aggregation highlighted by the Weasley twins who seem equally matched in aptitude, and the magical abilities of Harry Potter."

No comments: