Sunday, January 04, 2009

Being a parent is like being the Dark Knight. (Yes, I'm referring to Batman - you watched the movie, right? If you haven't, GASP. Please do.) That's what I decided after watching Kak Asmah and thinking about my mum (and other wonderful mums out there) and recalling a memorable quote from Everybody Loves Raymond: If your kid doesn't hate you, you ain't doing your job well. (Something along those lines. Raymond answers his dad, with a deadpan face, "Then let me congratulate you on your resounding success." Haha!)

Why is a parent like The Dark Knight? Because like the Dark Knight, a parent has to do the necessary evils; make the difficult choices. Be a freaking monster, metaphorically, if need be, so the kid knows to be disciplined, knows what's right from wrong and knows he can't get his way all the time. Essentially, make your kid hate or fear you, if that's what it takes. Yes, I believe that if you spare the rod, you spoil the child. Really, parents. Be the Dark Knight. So your kid turns out right. Let's have less of spoiled brats in our Primary 1 classes. I've seen them. They're horrifying. And I had always wondered where all the good kids had gone. Now, I'm thinking the right question should perhaps be: Where are the Dark Knights?

I haven't had the privilege to be a mother yet, but I've already started to understand how wonderful my mum is. And how special a mother is. (Daddys too, but always, always, and always mummys more.)

And anyway, at the end of the day, you know The Dark Knight always wins.

No comments: