Tuesday, September 23, 2008

yes, I should be studying, but no, I haven't.

As usual, I'm in my usual pattern of discovering frakking amazing books and uncovering new obsessions at a time when I should be mugging. Then again, when is it not a time for mugging? -_- And I know people are in their right minds when they see me stuck in a book and say, "You're reading a novel?" in a tone that better befits the phrase, "Are you sure you aren't digging your own grave here?"... but I still can't stand it. What's wrong with my feeding my insatiable curiosity? :( I stumble upon something fascinating and devour it accordingly. It's only natural.

I can't help but feel that pure muggers are hypocrites. You know. People who study so damn freaking hard and bury themselves in books for pretty grades. And they specifically pick modules that are easy to score so they can get them pretty grades. They're making a travesty of knowledge and education. It makes me angry. I know everyone studies to get a good job anyway, and there's none of that idealistic notion of learning-for-knowledge's-sake (much as I wish it), but at least have some semblance of respect for knowledge! And don't openly treat knowledge as a mere tool for societal advancement!

Why do I rant so. I amuse myself. (Damn, why doesn't blogspot have stg similar to an LJ cut? If it did I'd put that whole paragraph under a cut.)

Anyway, the new book I've discovered, in line with my Jap phase, is the Sano Ichiro series by Laura Joh Rowland. It's a series of mysteries set in 17th century Japan, where Sano Ichiro, the shogun's Most Honorable Investigator, uncovers deadly political secrets and solves murders, while narrowly escaping death at every escapade. The female protagonist and Sano's wife, Reiko, is also a kick-ass, sword-wielding, sharp-tongued and unconventionally-educated high-class lady, in the same league as Veronica Mars and Philippa Sommerville. She helps Sano with the investigations when she can. And didn't I just say the other day that how much I like the female lead usually dictates my continued fondness of the story? :) Reiko is awesome. I love her. Needless to say, the series has me in thrall, and in little more than a week, I've finished four of the thirteen books Rowland's released. They're really unputdownable. Some people have criticised that Rowland's more skilled at the development of her characters and their lives than the mystery plot, but I'm not nitpicky. I'm more than sufficiently entertained.

No comments: