Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sometimes. I realise how my 21-year-old self still harbours my 14-year-old insecurities. It's upsetting. It's like, you know, you thought you've grown up, for good. That you're happy with yourself and the way you are. And then stupid little things happen. And you discover that, crap, you might never have changed at all. Times like these, I wonder if people can change, or we're all destined to be who we are the day we're born.

On something else weird: People apparently like to ask me, "Where are you from?" And I think I give them the 'are-you-kidding-me' face and say in an incredulous tone, "I'm from Singapore." Like two of my biophysics tutor asked me that. Either it is an extremely rare thing to have Singaporeans doing physics or biophysics or walking around the S12 building of science, OR, their concept of Singaporean = Chinese. My tutor ridiculously added, after I told him that I was Singaporean, "Oh, you sound American." @_@ I was completely surprised (and a little affronted), I tell you. And I self-consciously checked if I was unwittingly imitating Lindsay Lohan or Paris Hilton or something, but seriously, why would I even?! It is an appalling concept for me to even WANT to do such a thing because America is one of my least favourite countries in the world (for a myriad range of reasons). If I'd accidentally spouted Japanese or something, it'd be more understandable.

No comments: