Wednesday, November 07, 2007

I think I said we already had our last day in the biochem lab. But today we painstakingly went back again to redo our SDS gel electrophoresis. And our hard work paid off in the end. Because we managed to get protein from all our chromatographic batches!!!

:))))))))))))))))))

ohmygod. People probably don't get why I'm so nerdily happy about this. But it was just SO INSANELY IMPOSSIBLE before this to detect the minimal protein content from our ion exchange column. We were giving up on it and speculating that we majorly screwed it up despite the fact that we repeated the ion exchange THREE TIMES, okay. But I am so happy because we could detect the enzyme band on the gel, faint as it was, at 6 pm today. And this means we did it right!

yay yay yay.

And Wei Chieh actually brought the gel back home to take a proper photo of it (cause the lab camera sucks) and he wrote on the gel container, "Our Pride". heh, so funny! Many groups didn't manage to get pretty gels like we did, so our gel is entitled to such a name. Hee.

After days and hours of toiling in the lab and breathing chemicals every day and exposing ourselves to carcinogenic polyacrylamide, a beautiful gel means a lot.

Only little more than a week left to the end of sem. I think I worked really hard this semester. Although I'm still flailing in numerical analysis and much of my projects still remain incomplete, I hold much hope for my cap and my future this time.

hooray again for our SDS gel! Lalala.

And oh, am excited for the Tony Blair talk at NUS on friday! Managed to get the invite. yay yay yay.

No comments: