Saturday, July 29, 2006

Movie rant. Spoilers (of quite old movies) ahead.

Tragic love stories should be banned. I can't stand it. Titanic, Romeo & Juliet, City of Angels, A Walk To Remember, Cold Mountain, and just now - Fanaa. It's frustrating. And for those more predictable stories, there comes a point somewhere in the middle when a death becomes obviously imminent and that's when I get really frustrated and start going, "No! No! No!" intermittently. At the end of the movie, I just feel horribly deflated, no matter how good the whole movie may be overall. Isn't it enough how terribly unromantic real life is?

I want fairytale endings, I can't help mself. I just want to indulge my romantic side at times and tragic endings simply don't go hand in hand with that. Oh yes, all the events that lead up to the death are romantic enough, but all that is spoiled when one or both of the lovers either drink poison, stab themselves, get shot by believe it or not, their own loved ones or albinos, get run down by trucks out of the blue or succumb to a disease. Let them be happy, hello.

Getting away from that: feel sad and wistful that my favourite on-screen heroes are getting old. The new ones just can't live up to the same standard. You know what they say about first loves, sigh.

Sami Yusof has the most gorgeous voice I have ever heard, ever. Mudaris gave me a cd of his songs (mostly about Rasulullah) which he got from God knows where and I absolutely fell in love with the sound of his voice. Way better than Jean-Baptiste Maunier from Les Choriste, and that's saying something!

Computational biology results still elusive. Gah. When will I get to know. I hate it when they take their own sweet time.

No comments: