Monday, August 22, 2005

This past weekend my parents had abandoned us kids at home and gone on a honeymoon for their 21st anniversary, and it was a nice win-win situation for both sides. My parents had a good time and we kids had a good time.

First of all, despite having free reign of 4 different television sets (2 with cable) and all-day internet connection, I studied. I actually woke up on saturday morning and got straight down to working. The house was quiet and I was not in the least bit distracted. Productivity declined as the day wore on but at least some things were accomplished.

On saturday night, Said and Hussein hanged around till 11pm. We ordered macs but it came 2 hours late, and the boys were ready to resort to violence. On sunday night, went out to eat at pizza hut (Kaktiyah's treat). No adults again, although technically Kaktiyah is 20 and adult... but hey, I don't see her as one. Haha. After our mini pizza fest, we went to buy vcds. Purchased 4 different movies at one shot: Calcium Kid, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan and Forrest Gump. And got home at 10.30 on a school night.

The taste of freedom. Damn nice.

The 8 of us are growing up... and growing apart? So sad. Not necessarily, right? Sigh. Suppose some things will inevitably change, but I hope we can hold on to some things. And having dinner like last night is good.

I don't know if everyone has that group of people they grow up with. This is mine: 8 blood-related cousins (of many, but we're close). And because we're cousins, we get to do more things together than what 8 friends normally would. I have known them for as long as I can remember, travelled half the world with them, watched the boys outgrow all the girls, had fights, had embarassing scenes, stayed up till 2 am playing etc. Our games have morphed from playing doctor, house, 'restaurant', tremors, ghost to a phase of soccer which we girls hated to playstation to... almost nothing now. Kaktiyah's working midnight shifts 3 times a week these days, and Hefni's in NS. And next in line is me.

And I'm going to make it worse by wanting to study overseas more than almost anything else in the world.

I suppose I have to learn to let go of the past and move on. Good things lie ahead too.

No comments: