Saturday, September 08, 2018

I was talking to the principal at one of my preschool centers earlier this evening, and we were discussing one of the boys on my caseload: how adorable, sociable, and cheerful a child he is in school, how I'm discharging him from therapy because he does not need it, and then... we have his parent complaining about how he's basically a terror to have at home; throwing tantrums apparently, slamming doors, and fighting his mum who attempts to cane him. The principal and I looked at each other, and before we said it, we knew we were on the same page: it's not the child, is it.

I'm quite sure of this: if you were to ask any experienced or perceptive educator, they will tell you that many of the supposed emotional, behavioural, learning, or academic problems that children encounter are not about them, but the repercussions of living with parents and families who are emotionally volatile at the very least, or completely damaging at the worst. Seriously. The longer I work in this field, the more I see not just the developmental trajectory of children, but the nature of humanity.

So many things happen below the apparent physical surface of our realities, but we don't consider them, strangely enough. People don't seem to consider them, much less think deeply about them. But their effects manifest eventually into our physical realities -- then we wonder, why? why is he like this? why does my child behave this way? Even for myself, as I've harped on in recent posts, I'm realising how much I've been very much shaped by my early childhood experiences, and how hard it is to reverse deeply-wired patterns put in place by the environment I grew up in, that I know I need to shed. Lucky for us, neuroscience has proven our brains remain plastic all the way to our deaths. It's like God's promise eh, that we still have a chance till our last breaths, to change our habits, our thoughts and opinions, and our emotional responses, to achieve some higher destiny maybe. We can totally rewire the way we think, if we put in the effort, if we choose it. But until each individual does that, takes control of his own life trajectory, most of us are products of our environment. As children, we have no capacity to fight this, and we are inevitably moulded by our milieu; and as a professional working with children, it is so painful to watch this happen and have no power to change it beyond what little nudges we can give to parents, in whose hands new lives appear so precariously held.




I see things so starkly now, ever since my recent epiphany about love (thank you Jin, for singing what is likely to remain my theme song of the year, Epiphany). Every single individual is born with a need to love and be loved in return, and if you just keep that in mind while you interact with all humans, you simply cannot go wrong. When I step into the classroom to see my kids and their friends, this human need for love is so clear; I love children for this purity that they have before life layers them with the masks they live behind--

Children will fight for your affection and get upset about not being attended to. When I call one child by name, the next child will immediately pipe up, "Do you know my name?" and the next one after that asks the same, and the next one after that. In the end I can have eleven children asking me if I know their names, haha, adorbs. You look at one boy and not the other, and you immediately get an upset response, "What about me!". These children make it clear on their faces, by their words, and by their actions, how much they want to be loved, how much they want to be seen.

Adults pretend they don't. When I do believe, we grown-ups very, very much, still do. Instead, adults have internally and privately learnt (we don't share this taboo information with each other) that we get love from people by being beautiful, or being successful, or being obedient and good, or being of service, or many other ways (dysfunctional or not), depending on the main message we get from our parents or caregivers (should they fail to convey to us we are loved just as we are). And when people fail to be any of the things they each think make them lovable to people, they believe they become unlovable -- and all sorts of problems ensue, the least of which I feel is depression. People who keep having to need this assurance that they are loved by others, can never truly love in return -- because you very easily mistake validation for love. How can you love well when you think you need to be rich or beautiful, say? Does it make sense: I'm sorry, I can't love you because I'm ugly. or I'm sorry, I can't love you, cause I have no money. or the other extreme, I'm so smart, beautiful, and rich, how can you not love me? And some other people stop fighting for love all together, and think they don't need it.

Use the mother-child relationship as an analogy; if there's an easy reference for true love, it's between a mother and child. Would a mother only feed and nurture her child if the child was beautiful? Would a mother only choose to call her child her own if he was healthy, perfect, and good? No, a mother loves the child no matter who or how he or she is. The fact that the child has been granted life makes him worthy of love. But see, most of us did not grow up knowing that fact; and from childhood onwards, we each try and figure out how to get this love we so crave.

I feel like all of this might be the point of life; to learn that the love that we're all searching here on the human plane will never be enough, because we're out to find the Real Love. And when we finally do learn to love God and love ourselves for having been granted life from God, do we learn to truly love others.

All of that made a very, very painful lesson for me to learn;
and now I'm trying to learn to love properly, insya Allah.


Rasulullah s.a.w. told us, 
"You will not enter paradise until you have faith, 
and you will not have faith until you love one another."



---

Epiphany totally merits multiple postings on my blog.
I am in love with this song,
and in relation to the above:


This part!

I want to love them in this world...
Shining me, the precious soul of mine,
I finally realised so I love me.

No comments: