Monday, March 19, 2018

This quote made my day today:

Whatever purifies you is the right path -- Rumi

---

and a repost!



I'm recalling one of my favourite BTS songs ever because of the amazing lyrics and just the emotional punch; I hope we'll get something like this again from BTS. It's understated beauty, that's what this is. It's not one of the majorly popular ones (because now BTS has music videos with views in the hundreds of millions) but I remember listening and watching this, and feeling like wowwwww; it really moved me.

And when I rewatched this -- there's this bit when Suga raps about being afraid of the void, that empty feeling he gets after a concert or performance: I can put a name to that void now! I get what that is. E and I used to talk about it -- that horrible sinking feeling you get in your gut after you read a great, great book, or after watching an absorbing movie or television show; or after you play a great game; it's when flow stops, my dears.

We all know and experience the void. It's when flow states end and we get thrust back into the real world and all its pains and fears. The thing is, unfortunately, it's not supposed to be a goal of life to sustain eternal flow states. Because then we'd just be automatons, won't we? Flow states are there, I think, as a demonstration of human potential. Flow states enable us to focus and get really good at something and deeply enjoy and immerse ourselves in life activities. The opposite of flow however, I think, is reflection. We cannot escape reflecting on our lives; this happens when we are out of flow.

And as always, balance is the ultimate ideal, isn't it? You can't always be in flow, but neither can you always be watching or observing yourself. That's not how you achieve your potential. Flow states are necessary for skill improvement, but now and then, you need to step back and reflect: Are your flow activities worthwhile? Do they fall in line into your life purpose? Are you fulfilling your destiny? Is there such a thing as destiny? What would God say? Why are these thoughts plaguing me? 

No comments: