Saturday, February 03, 2018

💜

Thank you for being such wonderful role models for women, 
for me.



Right after writing that I had a sad moment thinking about how I feel I lack Muslimah role models.

It's like, in Islam, you either become this super-pious lady and somehow that seems to immediately mean you disappear from visible public life, staying cloistered in prayer and behind veils; or if you do appear in mainstream public platforms, the implication at some level is that, you must really not be that pious a Muslim lady (and looked down by Muslim men who think you're too much out-there to be a good Muslim lady). I know this dichotomy is probably really, really wrong! But that is the impression I get within the culture I live in, and the pressure I get. I actually feel annoyed that I still think or feel like this. This is clearly wrong.

ohmygodddd -- I just googled Souad Al Hakim, and she's actually available in English. *tiny explosion in my brain* She just popped into my head as a current living example for a Muslim lady who is so out-there, speaks commonly in public spaces (and she doesn't even sport the hijab!), and who is well-respected in Sufi circles and amongst Muslims, men and women alike.

It is astonishing that a colossal Islamic scholar, Muhyiddin Ibn 'Arabî (AH 560-638), who lived more than eight centuries ago, should have declared that woman and man are absolutely equal in terms of human potentiality. He interpreted the "degree" which was given to man over woman[1] as an ontological matter, abolishing singular male images of the universe in favour of a binary conjugal conception, where male and female are coupled together in a necessary cosmic unity on the level of both Creation and Gnosis.

Muhyiddin Ibn 'Arabî has presented a new vision of woman in the history of Islamic Culture. It is indeed a vision worthy of inspiring contemporary Muslims, of acting as a foundation for the reassessment of their notions and concepts about women in Islam, and of propelling the wheel of cultural change in the proper path.

-- Ibn Arabi's Two-fold Perception of Woman, Souad Al Hakim

Another example I can think of is actually Singapore's own Jackie Ying (who I hear will no longer head A-star's IBN, why! 😟 ): a super intelligent Muslim-lady-scientist rumoured to do night prayers daily or something. Hahah. I can't even remember which rumour-mill I heard this from.

dang, I need to have more of these ladies in my life.

---

Obviously, I need to surround myself with the right people.
This is from one of my old friends who I barely get to see anymore
because... I don't know, drifting circles of friends,
and no good circumstance to engineer meet-ups?
Why should these things dictate my friendships.
Ah!!! I am frustrated. 

Anyway -- a positive thing about women she shared recently:


No comments: