Saturday, January 20, 2018

I just managed to finish one end-of-intervention report, whilst sitting in the very wonderful Tampines library, and I just feel like plonking my head down on the table now. TIRED, MENTALLY-DRAINED. I feel like I'm writing each report like it's an entire book; because isn't each report a summary of each child? These individuals are complex and wonderful and there are so many details! How do I balance the effort it takes to write this report and give justice to the reality of the child's abilities? *eternal professional / clinical issues*

Anyway, while looking for a seat in the library earlier and failing to do so, I diverted and started browsing the bookshelves instead -- dangerous activity as usual. And I found this tiny little book called, "A Monk's Guide to a Clean House and Mind" by Shoukei Matsumoto, that of course I'm going to leave the library with in a moment.

Already, in the intro, there were some beautiful little takeaways:

We sweep dust to remove our worldly desires. We scrub dirt to free ourselves of attachments. The time we spend cleaning out every nook and cranny of the temple grounds is extremely fulfilling. We live simply and take time to contemplate the self, mindfully living each moment. It's not just monks who need to live this way. Everyone in today's busy world need to do it.

Here's another bit about cleaning floors:

It goes without saying that dust will accumulate in a home that is never cleaned. Just as you have finished raking the leaves, more are sure to fall. It is the same with your mind. Right when you think you have cleaned out all the cobwebs, more begin to form. Adherence to the past and misgivings about the future will fill your head, wresting your mind from the present. This is why we monks pour ourselves heart and soul into the polishing of floors. Cleaning is training for staying in the now. Therein lies the reason for being particular about cleanliness.


I should really see cleaning and household work as part of cultivating the mind, which is how the Japanese culture sees it -- their elementary schools start out teaching kids early on about the sacredness of doing cleaning work. Everyone cleans together! I see it too much as a chore. But if I tell myself while I put away laundry that this is part of cultivating my mind, then I might do it more diligently. Insya Allah!

I'm reminded of karate kid: Wax on, wax off.

No comments: