Tuesday, December 05, 2017

I finished The Tale of Shikanoko series by Lian Hearn;
I liked it and I didn't expect to.
This story kind of snuck up on me nicely.
And the overarching theme of the story, of fate and destiny,
and sacrifices for the greater good, left me with a nice, melancholic feel.


Next Akihime came into his mind, as strongly as if she stood before him. He thought he heard her say, "It was not you who killed me or caused my death. We disobeyed the gods; we were punished for it. Masachika took me prisoner, Aritomo ordered my torture, the Prince Abbot carried it out. Punish them if you will, but don't punish yourself any longer. I was dying before the serpent bit me -- maybe it saved me days of suffering. And although what we did together was wrong -- we were so young, we knew nothing about the world -- our son came from it."

He recalled Sesshin's words: 

This is why you should never concern yourself over your fate; everything follows the laws of destiny and therefore happens for a purpose.

No comments: