Monday, November 06, 2017

evolving

I had a good weekend; equal parts inspired and pained. C'est la vie, I suppose? I would think that at this age I would get that life is not quite about being happy, but more about embracing the breadth and depth that is the lived experience -- but it's still easier said than done, and it needs to be reminded.

Attended a wonderful event called Kindling Inclusion, where the project team shared their stories about setting up Singapore's first inclusive preschool, Kindle Garden. It's pockets of idealism like this that make this world wonderful to me. Basically, this little Totto-chan-like school has children with added needs (i.e. Down's syndrome kids, ASD kids etc) go along hand-in-hand with all other kids, with no differentiation in treatment or school curriculum experience. And the result is inspiring, and moves me to tears, no joke; this is how human beings should be to each other:


There was a panel discussion after that 
and the people in the crowd that day were just so awesome 
-- I have no words, just seven (+infinite more) purple hearts. 
💜💜💜💜💜💜💜 



And then I had book club which is super super super lovely these days,
and we are picking up momentum with the reading and our last discussion was about love:
that always talked about but still least understood of things.

Gustav Sonata was a nice, comfortable, and subtly beautiful read:

One evening, Adriana said, "Anton was very lucky that he found you on the first day of kindergarten. You've shown him such loyalty, Gustav, and I don't know whether he has ever really paid you back."

"Paid me back?" said Gustav. "Well I don't think of it in those terms. I love Anton. I have always loved him and that's just how it is."



Does wanting to be loved in return prevents one from being truly loving?

Yes, it seems.

But one is only human, and as E often laments -- we're often not evolved enough to take these difficult things on. But maybe we need to aspire to it at least. Or maybe that's the whole point. You don't evolve unless there's something to adapt to.

No comments: