Saturday, July 01, 2017

So I've been getting excited about revisiting Japan (soon-ish),
and I stumbled upon this book on a library shelf:


It's awesome!!! Basically, it's a graphic memoir
of a French artist, who spent half a year in Tokyo back in 2006 -- 
he drew various spots in the city, 
adding cute-sy amusing comments,
chronicling his time there.

There are maps like this:


Descriptions of Japanese pedestrians (along Takeshita dori, Harajuku) like this:


Of buildings and everyday neighbourhoods like this:





And he also drew JE! 
Who I have missed, now that I am waaay into BTS.
Hehe, Kame in his early twenties was very alligator-like;
(he looks better now in his thirties)



SMAP (with Shinzo Abe being extra) when they were alive and thriving!!!
So sad that SMAP is officially no more :(


I've been contemplating getting a hard copy for myself for keeps.
Hmmmmm.

---


On other matters:

Datin S and I were talking in between work some time this week (yes, we are working together now, woohoo!), and when our endless conversations started getting really heavy as per our usual way -- I suddenly felt, and said as much to Datin S, that she should go read some storybooks (which she hadn't in a long time). Reading books, and specifically FICTION, gives such perspective, brings you out of yourself and so deeply into others' lives, that you will inevitably be better informed, equipped, and emotionally-armoured to battle your own life.

I witnessed some other human problem tonight, and while talking it over with my sis, she was the one who brought up, "This would not have happened with someone who does literature." Perhaps it's pompous, overly-fallacious, or misguided because I am no expert -- but it feels increasingly apparent to me that the nuance, the empathy, and the perspective that makes a gracious human being can be gained via reading stories. You could gain it elsewhere, maybe -- like living a difficult life, living among people who struggle, living among the poor. But otherwise, born into privilege and the lap of comfort or luxury, how else would you get it?

Suddenly, I am reminded of the hours of CIP (Community Involvement Project) we had to do for school so as to cultivate a civic-mindedness in students; oh come on, how much of it was just surface grade-fulfillment and how many of us truly succeeded in planting the seeds of compassion and care in our hearts? What is it that builds great character at the end of the day, right? Isn't that always the question.

For me, reading. It's still reading. And then you go and do your CIP.

No comments: