Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Happy Labour Day!

And I'm back from a short getaway -- a roadtrip to Malaysia to escape the realities of everyday Singapore life, if only briefly. Celebrated my birthday with my family at TGIFridays, where an unexpected ice-cream-with-a-candle made its appearance after our dinner and I was serenaded the birthday song by the waiters. Embarrassing and hilarious.

And as I embark into the next decade of life, the 30th year milestone, I am quite randomly remembering an old friend, N; who has drifted from me but who I remember now, cause when we were 17, she often told me of how it was foretold by a soothsayer of sorts, that she wouldn't live past 30. I realise this is a morbid story -- but I'm quite sure she is fine and alive and happy somewhere in this world. I miss you, N! We turn 30 this year; our lives together in school seem a lifetime ago.

I'm also thinking that the longer one lives, the more courage one needs; that it seems true that life either makes you into a saint or a cynic, and it takes a whole lot of courage to be more of the former than the latter; to stay optimistic and idealistic and dream big; to believe in the goodness of people, the goodness in the world, and the goodness in one's self.


snapshots of wonderful things the past few days:

This was from E
and I shall never forget this endorsement, haha;
I shall wear the title of llamacorn with pride,
especially on sad days when I'm wont to think that
all my weird amounts to freak instead of special.



Indulgence while in KL, and I couldn't resist getting a hardcopy book
while at the best Kino bookstore in the world haha.




Three hundred years ago, one of the most famous and brilliant scientists of all time, British physicist and mathematician Isaac Newton, the man who gave us gravity from Cambridge University, England, actually thought in such terms about time: for him, there was the time of humans, felt by us all and measured by our clocks, and there was the time of God, which is instantaneous, which doesn't flow. From the point of view of Newton's God, the infinite line of human time, stretching backward and forward into infinity, is but an instant. He sees it all in one blink.

-- The Universe in Your Hand, A Journey Through Space, Time, and Beyond, 
by Christophe Galfard

No comments: