Thursday, December 29, 2016

It's getting very easy to jump on this bandwagon calling 2016 a terrible year.

As the end draws near, all the negatives have been flooding my mind, and flooding our news feeds. I know it's probably skewed and I do plan to put another not-so-depressing photo-montage post here for my annual wrap-up post for the year; but while I concede there are good things in the year -- like seeing Scotland again! -- I am not genki enough to be writing; I think I'll only have enough energy to put photos.

I can sense myself falling into incoherence.



Examples of increasingly sad things gracing the end of this year:

* this crazy saga about Shaykh Hamza being slandered as a racist. It is ridiculous and enraging. People will just say whatever and good luck to you in the afterlife, I say. When I'd heard that Mehdi Hassan was going to interview Shaykh Hamza at RIS I was so thrilled! and then agonized because uh, one has to like pay ++money to watch it live and even then I wouldn't be free at said timing anyway. But then, the next thing I knew, there were claims that he made racist remarks -- like what?! Subhanallah... This man has no racist bone in his body. People should learn to understand the bigger picture and the overall message conveyed rather than nitpick at isolated comments. Open-mindedness is key. And he apologised and everything! And admitted that it sounded insensitive. And still all the accusations are rife.

I just -- sometimes my heart feels like it's so compressed, it'll just flatline from all the ache.

* the end of Running Man next week. Another unbelievable, shocking saga that led to the abrupt decision to end the most successful Korean variety show ever. The crazy production team, thinking to inject some fresh change to the dynamic of the show, attempted to remove Ji Hyo and Jong Kook from the team, without consulting them or any of the main cast (STUPIDEST MOVE EVER) -- which led to a crazy explosion of fury among fans and cast members alike -- and then the main cast all decided to call it quits together. Which I have to say is awesome. I love them all. It was bad enough when Gary left barely two months ago! I actually cried at the end of his last episode. I think that was an omen of things to come.

Kwang Soo recently won a Top Excellence Award for Variety Show
 and his speech was especially heart-breaking knowing that Running Man, 
which catapulted him into international stardom, was ending.



* my sis had told me about this amazing Malaysian girl and her husband, who were the epitome of a true love story -- she was fighting cancer and they'd married anyway. And this wonderful lady had personally served as such an inspiration for my sister and her own difficulties -- and we'd learnt she passed away just yesterday, on her wedding anniversary, which also happened to be her husband's birthday. I literally cannot stop tearing when I think of her. She was such a beautiful person and I didn't even know her personally.

* and then I personally did something for myself that was seemingly a small move, but is now pushing me to the brink of tears every other moment. I am working hard to hold myself together.




Ya Allah, please please please make the end of next year much happier than this one. For all of us.

No comments: