Saturday, August 18, 2012

No, not now = Yes, but not yet

Have I mentioned how much I love PBL (i.e. Problem-Based Learning)? I may have alluded to it, or implied that it was fun. But I have to say it clearly: it is the safest, most enjoyable, and most conducive learning environment I have ever had the privilege to be part of.

Essentially, what we do is, a group of 10 of us, sit around a table and discuss a case. There is stimulus information (e.g. worksheets with details about a client) provided by the faculty and each session is usually accompanied by an external supervisor who stands by the periphery to watch and just kinda steers us back if we're veering a bit too off course. As a rule, they aren't supposed to talk much at all. Ultimately, on a given morning, we students kind of figure it out for ourselves. They throw problems at us, and then say, "Here, figure it out!"

I think it may come across as an exaggeration to say that the whole process is fun, but how else can I say it? We come up with ideas, share it with each other, respectfully criticize each other, occasionally laugh at our cluelessness and dig up information together. It is awesome. I wish every school experience I had based itself on PBL. It empowers the individual, encourages independence in learning and builds cooperation and collaboration amongst peers.

Ah, peers. An appropriate disclaimer here would be the fact that I think I have exceptional classmates who are all awesome and supportive and fun. And that, I suppose, is one of the major factors for fulfilling PBL sessions. It might not work with young students or persons with no desire for teamwork. When everybody treats everyone else with respect, or better yet, like a friend, it can only create a relaxed atmosphere. Honestly, our sessions can get so funny at times.

Today, we discussed whether we should allow a boy with ASD to join a CC robotics group: after nitpicking each other's arguments, we came up with two answers which we laughed over, because it was essentially the same thing -- "No, not now" and "Yes, but not yet". Ah well, it's not so funny now, but it was funny as frak to me this morning.

We only have four weeks left and all of this will come to an end -- it saddens me. I want my classmates now to be my future colleagues, can?



And how is it that 30 nights have passed by without my feeling like I've done anything? I feel weepy tonight.

No comments: