Thursday, June 07, 2012

research woes.

It's not an easy thing to work on something with a linguist, a clinician and a research professor all at the same time! They're saying quite different things and as a result my brain feels like it's being torn at least three ways. And what makes all of this extra difficult is because the time we're given is insanely little -- and I am especially miffed when I am rushed to come up with beautiful theses and writing. I have lamented numerous times that creativity and deep reflection and thought requires time, frak it, not deadlines!

On an upside, Prof L as much said that I could write well; I should apparently make use of it to angle my thesis so that the data becomes meaningful. And I do agree with her that everything about this research has been subpar because of essentially the lack of time (and lack of good instruction!), and I just haven't had the luxury to really mull over this thoroughly. The word I hear is that our batch has been dubbed the whiny ones, but seriously -- how is it humane that since the start of the year, we have had consecutive weeks of lectures followed by exams followed by placement followed by vivas and interviews, and on top of that we have to juggle this crazy frak of a research topic that we pluck out of thin air because sorry, we're forced to?

This is supposed to be our four week break, okay. And when Prof L asked what's the program right now for us, I said, "It's our supposed break now." She quickly picked up on the "supposed" and we had a laugh over it. It's been crazy, and actually sad because this course has not turned out very good for some of my classmates; but dear God, let us all emerge from this together as determined therapists who will do great nonetheless.

No comments: