Sunday, July 24, 2011

I think that, like Will Scott, I admire consistency.
---

"Why did you decide to join me?"


"Why...?" repeated Redhead, needing time to think.


"Word of three letters," said Lymond. "Come along, for God's sake: no need to let me have it all my own way. What was it? Rape, incest, theft, treason, arson, wetting the bed at night..."


"...Or burning my mother alive," said the other sarcastically.


"Oh, be original at least." The Master was undisturbed. "Why are you here?"


Silence. Then the boy said slowly, "Because I admire you."


An appreciative titter ran round the audience. "You shock me," said Lymond. "Explain, please."


"All right," said the boy. "You've chosen a life of vice, and have been consistent and reliable and thorough and successful in carrying it out."


Lymond considered this with every appearance of seriousness. "I see. Thus the baseness of my morals is redeemed by the stature of my manners? You admire consistency?"


"Yes, I do."


"But prefer consistency in evil to consistency in good?"


"The choice is hypothetical."


"Lord; is it? What an exciting past you must have."


"I despise mediocrity," stated the young man firmly.


"And you would also despise me if I practised evil but professed purity?"


"Yes. I should."


"I see. What you are really saying, of course, is that you dislike hypocrisy, and people who can't stand by their principles. I find it so helpful," continued Lymond, "when some of my gentlemen have well-defined codes of conduct. It makes them more predictable."

No comments: