Tuesday, April 05, 2011

We are approaching the peak of mugging season, but as always, I find myself digging up stuff on anything but the required syllabus.

For instance, this upcoming elections. Being finally old enough, I can technically vote, but... I feel clueless. While, yes, I have a general idea of things, it still feels like a cloze-passage situation with large gaps in knowledge. For example, just how many parties are there? Who are these people and what exactly will they end up doing on my behalf??? I don't have a big picture understanding of things O.O and I am appalled by myself! How to make wise decisions about voting? Cannot just blindly vote against PAP, which is what my fiery pro-opposition elders keep recapitulating.

Also, it doesn't help that our media monopoly gives one-sided stories i.e. PAP candidates. (Read: onesingaporean's Straits Times, you not embarrassed meh?) How much do I have to dig to really find out about things? :\

Why aren't we generally more politically aware? I do not want to be an apathetic citizen! Maybe I don't have the right politically-minded friends, but it seems like all we're concerned about are acing exams and money-making endeavours and having micro-concerns about our livelihoods. Our minds should be broadened. (And... my thoughts lead me back to our PAP-schooled mindsets, meh. Homeschooling is really looking to be more and more a preferable alternative.)

---

Something else before I go: a documentary (shared by Ain) on the 2008 Gaza Incursion, and the amazing kids who survive the ordeal. How it is that they're so young and yet, so brave. Hard times really shape strength and character, I think. And maybe, children, like Gatto says, stop acting like children if you let them be adults.

No comments: