Monday, April 04, 2011

This post is testimony to my lack of priorities, seeing as how I have a test tomorrow, and I haven't exactly memorised everything I need to. I feel the information leaking out of my ears, ohdear.

Anyways, today, I was thinking that maybe, it's true: kindred spirits migrate toward each other. (:

Had a long discussion this afternoon (again despite looming test tomorrow and therefore putting into question my priorities) about everything under the sun, but then we got really fired up about education, and I want to share this (which I learnt about from Shaykh Hamza, of course, hoho, who else.):

John Taylor Gatto's Against School: How Public Education Cripples Our Kids and Why, at Challenging The Myths of Modern Schooling.

"Mandatory education serves children only incidentally; its real purpose is to turn them into servants. Don't let your own have their childhoods extended, not even for a day. If David Farragut could take command of a captured British warship as a pre-teen, if Thomas Edison could publish a broadsheet at the age of twelve, if Ben Franklin could apprentice himself to a printer at the same age (then put himself through a course of study that would choke a Yale senior today), there's no telling what your own kids could do."

No comments: