Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Why is it that local theatres are hardly, if ever, playing the movies worth watching? -.-

I want to watch this movie! About John Keats and his real love story with Fanny Brawne, starring Ben Whishaw. And I only very recently discovered this intriguing actor when I 'accidentally' stumbled onto a very twisted movie called Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. I can't decide whether the movie is brilliant or insane, but Whishaw without a doubt was mesmerizing in his performance, and I immediately looked him up. My favourite actors are more often than not obscure and fame-phobic (just the way I love them) and their works, in accordance or not, become inaccessible to me. This happened when I became quite enamoured by Cillian Murphy a couple of years ago. I hunted high and low for his movies, and only recently, by pure luck, found The Wind That Shakes The Barley, while on my Scotland trip with Eunice -- we were trying to decide what to watch at The Rowans, Isle of Lewis (BEST GUESTHOUSE EVER; I should totally rave about it in another blog post or stg); they had like a whole shelf of dvds we could take our pick from and I found the movie nestled somewhere there.

So anyway, I'm wondering whether I can find this if I walk into HMV. Also, I want to watch Brideshead Revisited! I keep hearing of Brideshead, but never got around to really finding out about it.



Here's the poem:

Bright star, would I were stedfast as thou art--
Not in lone splendour hung aloft the night
And watching, with eternal lids apart,
Like nature's patient, sleepless Eremite,
The moving waters at their priestlike task
Of pure ablution round earth's human shores,
Or gazing on the new soft-fallen mask
Of snow upon the mountains and the moors--
No--yet still stedfast, still unchangeable,
Pillow'd upon my fair love's ripening breast,
To feel for ever its soft fall and swell,
Awake for ever in a sweet unrest,
Still, still to hear her tender-taken breath,
And so live ever--or else swoon to death. 

3 comments:

eunice said...

I'm pretty sure I've seen Bright Star in Gramophone before... And it did play in local cinemas quite some time back -- my sister went to see it with her friends...

eunice said...

But yes, on the whole it's really hard to tell when non-blockbusters are showing. They come and go so quickly largely with no publicity at all.

Shamiah said...

ok yay I shall go find it. when I'm not broke. :\