Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I have my statistics exam in a while and I've reached a plateau of zen-ness. Although I haven't actually understood every single letter or word or mathematical equation or even actually, entire chapters, I feel like... I'm okay. And zen. Last night I was irritated by the whole thing -- by the crazy way we're meant to study these things, with no proper appreciation of concepts, I feel, and it pissed me off extremely. I actually want to understand why these formulas are such and why they work in certain ways, but I feel like we haven't been given the proper opportunity to. So little time and all the wrong lesson objectives. And if I can't properly understand and enjoy the subject, how can you make me want to study it??? Some deep part of my soul is just totally against the whole let's-just-mug-and-score-at-the-exam and maybe this is why I just can't bring myself to care enough.

And I especially hate it when I cannot see the point of a module. Like the syllabus is a mess, and doesn't seem to point to any one overarching concept.

But now, whatever, you stupid exam. Unlike you, I value knowledge. And true understanding. And I have ceased to give grades more worth than they deserve.

I was telling my sister at how zen I feel about things these days. It's kind of shocking.

Oh, Prof Miksic returned our grades for the Shipwreck essay and museum exhibit. Am a bit sad about his comments on our exhibit -- not enough depth or stg like that? :( But I don't care! I still like what we did! And it was a fun exercise and I met a V6 fan while working on it, so yay. Haha.

And my story of the monk boy scored a 75% -- considering I eked out the 10 pages within approximately 2 days, I am happy. :P I had expected loads worse. But he actually said my use of facts were pretty good but vague -- thank god for my love for historical fiction, I say, because a lot of my images of the story were shaped by Japan's Edo period in Rowland's Sano Ichiro series that I read.

---

Okay, got a paper to sit for, and then staying over at Shweta's room to work on the horrid cz project I've been neglecting.

No comments: