Saturday, July 25, 2009

I used to harp on a lot about intuition and coincidences and fate. And then, I became a little bit more cynical and skeptical. Things only happen because you make it so, ne. But today, I think the old me was right to believe in the wonderful workings of divine power. Allah does help those who help themselves. God does answer wholehearted pleas. You'll find the truth if you search it. The thing you look for might fall right onto your lap, and then you sit stunned for at least a second. And go wow.

In the morning, I was helping process documents at Mendaki as usual, and I saw someone quote Paul Coelho in her personal statement: how the universe conspires for you when you fight for your passions or convictions.

I bumped into the Finance Director at the photocopy machine after that. She asked me if I was the one who had graduated and was working at Deloitte. I gave her a confused no, I haven't even graduated yet! I don't even know what Deloitte is.

Then I left earlier than usual, because I was meeting my Human Relations project mates, who have become my USP friends, at Orchard. Raphael was leaving for Philly for NOC, so we gathered for a little farewell. And we talked about random work and school stuff. And Raphael mentioned his sister works at Deloitte. And my brain went, eh?

Then later he mentioned he was working at Exploit Technologies (the new kid on the block at Biopolis, I think) for a bit this summer and basically they do knowledge transfer from research to market. And they had some new 2-year internship program for fresh grads and suggested me and Vaish check it out some time if we're interested. (It turns out Vaish is aiming for med school.) By this time, I was already a little rattled. Like wow. Wasn't this what I've been thinking about for some time now?

Then he went further to ask me what I wanted to do after graduation. And because things had turned so favourably, I dared to say, Something like medical writing? And he enthusiastically replied, Oh, I know a professor whose wife works as a medical writer at nusmed! I could get you to meet or talk to her if you want. And I really went, Majide!!!! in my head. I couldn't believe it.

You see, I have been privately cracking my head about my future plans and stumbled on the concept of medical writing or basically, communication in science. I thought, what could be better, eh? I get to write, something I know I can at least do okay, and I get to use my background in science. I wasn't so confident on the concept of doing graduate work or research in bioinformatics (although I'm not closing off the option entirely), what with my mediocre CAP and blurness in programming and all, and here was an option that might work, you know. And I had already spent some time reading about it and looking up people who do it (there aren't many, if any, in Singapore) and I was contemplating corresponding with one of these people for advice. I'd been mulling about it for days. So, Raphael offering something like that- Oh, I know someone who's a medical writer! You want? - was seriously, @.@ - wow.

And I said, Okay, I think I'll mail you some time.

So yes, today was a little significant. And I'm going to gather my guts and do something about this.

And okay, I'm still trying to figure out the exact meaning of Deloitte being mentioned by random people twice in one day. Haha. Or maybe I'm just looking for patterns where there aren't any. :P But I don't know, the idea that a pattern does exist is just... better to me.

Also, Jiawen is right - you really can learn, and should learn, from anyone, and anything.
---

Anyway, away from future worries and whatnot, I reread a funny Hanadan fic and I just have to post a link here: 4 Times Domyouji Almost Wrecked (Someone Else's) Wedding, and 1 Time He Saved It

This fic reiterates how crazily special an OTP Tsukasa and Tsukushi are. It is so hilarious. I just totally love how the fic embellishes the way Makino questions her sanity for having fallen for the idiot Domyouji is. XD It is funny as hell. The Domyouji antics are so spot on. I love it.

"You look like a pimp!"

"Eh?" He frowned at her reflection in the mirror, and then grinned in triumph. "I don't have a hand crank! Eh, dummy?"

Makino blinked at him in bewilderment, then rubbed the bridge of her nose in exasperation. "No. Idiot. PIMP, not PUMP. God, you're such a moron. Why did I marry you?"

"Because I'm Domyouji Tsukasa, heir to Domyouji Holdings, and you are the girl I chose!"
Gosh, just thinking of Domyouji now makes me want to crack up. XD I realise it may not sound remotely amusing to someone who hasn't watched Hanadan - to which I say, Please clue yourself in. Boys Over Flowers is becoming a legend, please. Just the soundtrack of the Korean version was on the 2nd spot on the top 10 Asian albums at HMV today. -_-

No comments: