Friday, May 02, 2008

Nothing imprisons oneself like the exam period. It's a few more days to the end of it all for me but I feel like I can't take it anymore. Just want to freaking fly away. -_- Sometimes, in fact most of the time, I stare at my notes and wonder incessantly how knowing about stirling numbers or derangements or recurrence relations is supposed to help my future somehow. Just. Head-bangingly frustrating not to be able to see how this fits into the big picture. Bleak-o.

Anyway, I felt the urge to type. These urges always come at the most importune moments, like I've mentioned before. And I decided to indulge myself (despite dismal state of revision). Something someone said has stayed with me for days now, and I shall blog about it.

The other day, the family came over to gather and chat, as malay families are wont to do. And my dad, as always, was cracking everyone up every other minute with his insane remarks. Then Kak Shida was like, "My goodness, how is it huh, to have your dad around everyday? Must be crazy." And it made me pause.

How we take things for granted, you know. And the more I thought about it, the more I couldn't imagine not having my dad and his mad humour in my life. I mean, it's not like my dad is funny 24/7; he's incredibly irritating and exasperating too. But the little things that we have around us, that have always been an integral part of our lives, we barely take notice, you know. Until someone points it out, or until we lose it. I mean, I never really realised or acknowledged, before Kak Shida pointed it out, how lucky we are, to have such a ridiculously funny dad. People are actually envious of it.

Like the other time at dinner too, on the rare occasion when my bro, sis and me were all there and we were animatedly having a conversation (I think about the slugs my brother encountered in Taiwan), and Cik An was like fascinated how we could get along so well, whilst her kids barely speak to each other except when necessary. And I was like, "Eh...". Even little things like sibling dynamics shouldn't be taken for granted, you know.

It's nice to learn about the little things you should be grateful for in life.

Okay, I shouldn't be posting essay-like entries at a time like this! gahness. >.< what am I doing.

No comments: