Wednesday, May 16, 2007

My poor brain is in a twist over this incredibly unreasonable research, (imo), we're supposed to do for this US trip. I feel like my brain cells are going around in circles, coming to no conclusion, and all the mental exercise is simply aggravating my confusion. >_<>

Why is it that Singaporeans fear failure so very much? What's with our extreme kiasi-ism? Why do we stick so much with our social norms? We have a very low entrepreneurship rate among the developed countries, our students don't speak up enough in class but simply shut up and listen, and every john, raju and ali in singapore finds security following the "laid-out" professions like doctor, lawyer, engineer, teacher, accountant. Not that any of these professions are bad per se! It's just that we are generally a people that avoid risks. It's hard to find someone who wants to try doing astronomy, say, or start a new business company. Why why why! It is so different here in the US. People are more receptive to making mistakes and doing weird things. In Singapore, people still remember their freaking truly-inconsequential PSLE aggregate to tell themselves they can't get their honours in NUS. Gahness, I tell you. There is no word for our appalling negative attitude of ourselves.

Okay. I'm done with the failure rant. If you have some personal theory to explain Singapore's kiasu/kiasi culture, please post extensively in my guestbook. I would very much appreciate it! And now: random photos of berkeley, san fran and palo alto. Enjoy!

I am so proud of this seagull photo I took while on a cruise at san fran! I think it rocks. (:


Sis and me. Miss her, I do!



Rodin's The Thinker!


We came across a break-dancing group! Awesome, I tell you. :))))

US is so bloody interesting.

No comments: