Sunday, December 03, 2006

Tonight was damn fun. I went out, after what seems like a very long time, to have dinner with aunts. Then we went to vivocity, just because. And we sat down facing Sentosa. And then Cik An was telling us how she calculated that all her kids were 62% Indian. And I decided to do for me. Using the concept of genetics (you get half from your mum, and half from your dad), we got this:

44% Malay
25% Indian
19% Arab
12% Chinese

The Malay has all: Bugis, Bawean and Jawa elements. Plus Riau and Terengganu. And the Indian has Malbari and Pakistan. Wah, damn rojak ah. I like. I'm truly Singaporean in a way; very multiracial.

Which is why, when people ask me what race I am, I really don't know what to say. My dad insists we're Arabs cause of the family name. Okay fine. But from my calculations, we're mostly malay. Which makes sense. But then I've been told I don't look very malay. Oh well. What does it all matter in the end. I'm me. I live in Singapore and I'm Muslim.

Our conversation, at one point, turned to the story of my great grandmother on the paternal side. She was apparently born alongside a little white crocodile. No, really. A white crocodile twin. Reallllly. There were such stories in kampong times.

So, am I 1% reptile? Heh. Hints of scaliness within my blood.

And oh my god, to go off topic here, I really love Prison Break. You could watch it just for Wentworth's eyes, but the plot's pretty gripping too. And the romance is picking up! :)

No comments: