Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Cannot wait for all the papers to be over!

This whole studying thing has changed. It's more like gambling. My old philosophy was to study everything as humanely possible (yes, nutty, but what to do) but now, it's all about calculated risk and gambling. The amount of knowledge to be learnt seems more than a mountain-load so instead, I calculate the probability of such-and-such concept being tested. So right now, I'm thinking one of the long questions for LSM will definitely be on carb metabolism, so there I go memorising all kinds of dehydrogenases and citric acid reactions. But I will skim through lipids. Learn more on protein structure. Skim through enzyme kinetics. But learn hemoglobin.

Good luck to me.

The other day, this girl came knocking on the door trying to sell me some kiddy-looking coloured markers fashioned in the shape of santa, and rudolph, and all other christmas associations. I told her I wasn't interested. She didn't budge. I told her I would have no use for it. She maintained her stand and said, "Oh, you can buy for your relatives and cousins. The holiday is coming!" And I gave her a look, that probably said, "You have tested my patience. That is so the wrong thing to say." I sort of gestured to my house, my door, me - and said, trying not to be cold, "I don't celebrate Christmas." Her smile dropped a notch and she finally said, "Okay. Sorry." When she left, I rolled my eyes and shut the door.

Really. Why is it that Christmas has become a universal celebration? Hey, I completely respect the fact that it is a Christian holiday. But don't go around exclaiming that we should all have Christmas parties and have Christmas trees and exchange presents. If you're not a Christian, why are you celebrating? Do you even know the significance of this occasion? The same irritating thing happens with Halloween. I hear on the radio Singaporeans celebrating Halloween. What on earth. Maybe some even celebrate Thanksgiving.

The extent Singaporeans go to Americanise themselves is puke-inducing sometimes.

Some holidays are truly sacred. But when it becomes an opportunity for people to party, I get extremely annoyed. Like Hari Raya. If you don't fast or respect Ramadhan, in my view, you have no right to celebrate Syawal, and Hari Raya, my dear, does not apply to you. Note - the word 'raya' means to 'celebrate' a victory.

God, I have so much angst.

No comments: