Sunday, September 10, 2006

I think I am somewhat incapable of disciplining myself within the confines of my home. Scratch that; not somewhat incapable, completely incapable. The freedom that I feel, especially with my laptop at hand and sitting on my comfy bed, always unfailingly makes me forget whatever few responsibilities I have. It's a strange thing: freedom in confinement. I am a walking contradiction. I go on about trying to get away and escaping and so on, and then I talk about freedom. I can't even begin to comprehend myself. Maybe here, I'm talking about freedom of mind.

Ugh, I have to stop.

Anyway, I wanted to blog about the fact that my sis and me found an account of our old attempt to make a crap movie called I Know What You Did Last Lebaran. I think it was about three years or so ago. And my video cam was still relatively a novelty. And we had this storyline planned out. It's hilarious just rereading it. I was to be the camerawoman of course and the editor. And the boys were going to act. And the setting was going to be in an Australian college abbreviated RJC (Am crying tears of mirth here. Roombawamba Junior College, with aboriginal origins, hence the name.). A group of boys were staying back in school instead of going home to their homelands to celebrate raya. Obviously, we then have a killer on the loose who starts murdering the boys to teach them a lesson (to remember their roots and not westernise themselves completely).

We had even planned names for our various characters! I was to do a cameo as a stall holder called Cik Leha (how she came to be selling kueh in Australia, I have no idea). My brother was to be the janitor of the school called Pakcik Kus; that old, wise character always present in urban legend movies who dispenses advice but initially arouses suspicion. Said was going to be the psycho kid - ridiculously named Asaad Kelada after the director of 'Who's The Boss?' - intent on teaching his friends the meaning of raya. He was going to go around killing his friends with spiky ketupats, and slash at them with green packets. And his trademark killing tactic was to be:

"Selamat Hari Raya!"
- K I L L -
"Maaf Zahir & Batin."
He was also to leave telling clues of trails of serunding and the smell of rendang at the scenes of his crimes. My sis and me were laughing our ass off. It's all so unbelievably hilarious. Hefni's character, Adam Muskat, was to be the first one killed off, being the most skeptical about the urban legend. And Hussein's character, Harun Stokin, and Saiful's, Nizam Dali, were to follow suit.
I wish we could have done it properly. I still hope we'll do something like it one day; if not this, something else. Hysterical fun it would be. We succeeded only once in making a movie called Misteri Bungalow Putih and a news broadcast which turned out hilarious as well. Damn. How come the old days always seem better.

No comments: