Thursday, December 22, 2005

Have actually been back for some time now but have had no inclination to blog or visit the net. Had a very memorable time in Malaysia. I really like going there. All prices are halved due to currency difference and almost all food is halal. Bliss. Kenny Rogers, for instance. Why is it that I always have to wait for a holiday to taste that fantastic black pepper chicken, with that mashed potato, macaroni and cheese, and awesome muffin. Sigh. Not to mention the very convenient suraus. Sometimes I think I'd like living there. Sometimes.

First of all, went to Alor Setar, Kedah, for an overnight stay. Walked till feet ached like mad. Went to an Arab Cafe to rest, and the rain started pouring in buckets. I swear, buckets. It is no wonder Kedah is flooded now. It'd be terribly hot in the early afternoon, but near evening it'd be a near storm. We were stuck at the cafe, and the owner shockd me with his gorgeous blue eyes. He was Lebanese if I'm not wrong. Had absolutely scrumptious drinks - I had some iced mocha.

Unbeknownst to my mother and sister, whose birthday it was, my dad and I had planned to surprise them with a birthday cake at dinner. Back at the hotel, we had lobster and delicious fish munierre (We all had triple helpings) and then the staff dimmed the lights, and they came in singing and carrying the birthday cake. My mum was stunned. Duh. Nothing like this ever happened before. It was all 'Take picture! Take picture!' (Am in post Army Daze phase right now. Just bought it on vcd.) And the three of us siblings gave my mum the expensive Chomel brooch we got her. It was a very fun night.

The next few days was Pedu time. We went up to some ulu hutan (jungle) place in Kedah, to a secluded resort near a lake. And my, was it secluded. To get there, we had to drive 2 hours from the city centre, along some winding forest road. Don't think I have ever been further from civilisation before. It was like something out of 'I Still Know What You Did Last Summer'. A deserted area, with a handful of staff members at the lobby. We saw only few other visitors. And there was no handphone reception. I think if there was a murder on the lose at that place, we'd all be half rotting by the time the police decided to investigate. So... we sort of had the whole place to ourselves, which was wonderful. The resort spanned acres, I think, but because it was no longer popular, some parts have been cordoned off. The rooms were individual huts amongst forest trees and barely-paved walkways. It was so cool. To get to one place to another, one had to use buggys. I loved it there. There was a nice bridge too, across the lake, and the view was gorgeous. And have I mentioned that it was so peaceful? It was a true quiet. I dont think you can get such quiet anywhere in the city. Now that I am recounting this, I am just dying to hear that silence again.

Anyway, had such a great time there in Pedu. I went fishing. I actually went fishing!!! This is a big deal for me. Never did it before. And I caught a fish! Albeit a small one, but still! My brother caught five, but whatever. At first, we had no success whatsoever, until we moved some place else and the moment I put the bait in, I felt a tug, and lo and behold, I got my fish! I cannot recall its name though.

We also played table tennis (once again, the first time ever) and pool. And karaoke. As expected we had the whole lounge to ourselves. Sang a threesome with sis and Said: Westlife's "If I Let You Go". Haha. Found future Singapore Idol in Hussein (whose rendition of Manbai's Kau Ilhamku is better than the original, I swear), and Ami Man sings darn well too. And we had hotel food for every meal of the day there, seeing as how there's no other eating place in sight. Food was good.

After Kedah, Pedu and all, we came down to familiar KL. Bukit Bintang. Had Kenny Rogers as mentioned before. Shopping like mad. Masjid India. Petaling Street where I bought my 40 ringgit Adidas shoes. Then of course, we met my counsin's family: Kak Warda, Abang Zamri and Luth! Luth is one and a half now and so adorable, I can hardly stand it. He's almost talking and babbles a lot, and likes to play peek-a-boo with practically anyone. And he played with my Elsie! He bent down near Elsie's head, and whispered hi! It was so cute, I think I squealed when he did it. Then had exorbitant family dinner at Pha-Pha Thai Seafood Restaurant. The food was just fabulous. Steamed sea bass, pandan chicken, and hot tom yam. And I actually loved the asparagus. Since when has vege appealed to me.

And then of course, we had Berjaya Times Square Indoor Themepark. Took craziest ride I ever had in my life. I cant possibly describe it properly. It's like a 360 degrees viking. Screamed (sampai anak tekak nak tercabut you) like I never did before. Took the wipe out ride too, and that one gave me a headache cause they spinned too much and I was trying to keep my blouse down at the same time. The hem was riding up and my tudung was flying so I could barely see. Was half laughing, half screaming for the to stop.

That was mostly it, and I enjoyed it so much. You know, when one goes on holiday, more often than not, what makes it worthwhile is the company more than anything else. And the things that will stick in my head in years to come are more the people I had with me, than for instance, the shopping. Of course, scene of Pedu Lake will stick in my head, perhaps forever, if, god forbid, I don't go senile. But in all, it would have been so much less fun without my crazy, crackpot extended family.

Like the time when we were squashed in the van on the the way to Pedu (and I do mean squashed), and we sang song after song. From Hoobastank to Raihan. The van was running out of petrol, so on the steep slopes of the road, with thick forest of trees on both sides, the van chugged really slowly up. And still we sang. Then there's the late night card games at the boys' room. Zigity, and Old maid, and Bingo. And Ahmad, who can never keep a straight face if he's holding the old maid card. Nuts.

No comments: