Tuesday, May 10, 2005

I sound quite nuts in the last entry. Hm. What's new.

Eunice and Yu Jie have started Checkmate! Oh my gosh. So fast. It was less than a year ago when I was reading it. I took about three days I think.

I have also finished The Queen's Fool. I've been reading at the rate of a speeding bullet, it seems. I only bought the book last Thursday. And now I'm done. I love the story! I love Philippa Gregory's writing! It's not as deep as Dunnett's or as flowery, but there's something about the straightforwardness that gives a sense of closeness and easy empathy to the main character. And oh my goodness, the Queen Mary Tudor is such a poor thing (as portrayed in the book). She dies all alone in the world, misunderstood, sick with grief, her sister turned away from her and the whole of England rooting for the younger Princess Elizabeth. Oh, and the theme of Gregory's stories always seem to center on feminism and gender equality. Even in The Other Boleyn Girl and The Little House, it was about how a woman always seems restricted eventually because of her sex, more so in the past, but now as well. Which makes me wonder if male readers find it at all appealing.

Chem test tmr which I am as usual quite unprepared for. Oh, all these books will be the death of me.

No comments: