Thursday, December 02, 2004

"Chide not the pupil hastily, for that will both dull his wit and discourage his diligence, but [ad]monish him gently, which shall make him both willing to amend and glad to go forward in love and hope of learning... Let the master say, "Here ye do well". For I assure you there is no such whetstone to sharpen a good wit and encourage a love of learning as his praise... In mine opinion, love is fitter than fear, gentleness better than beating, to bring up a child rightly in learning."
~ Roger Ascham, 1515-1568, Scholar and Tutor to Queen Elizabeth

Was trying to do three things simultaneously: pack my bag, finish editing my fifth and last switzerland vcd and complete my mom's b'day present. Succeeded in only doing the first.

Started reading RC. Suddenly find the whole chunk about Russia not so bad. It used to seem draggy to me. Will bring it to Egypt.


No comments: