Sunday, June 09, 2024

hometown and the feelings triggered

Obviously my monthly writing arrangement did not materialise. I had half a mind to start writing monthly chapter reviews of this book I'd heard people talk about called, "Writing To Learn" -- but in between my other reading obligations and pleasures, that never happened either. (Or yet.)

I was on a binge rewatch of Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha today (prompted by Datin S and her brother rewatching it for the umpteenth time!); and in the midst of Hong Du Sik stuttering in front of Hye Jin about not knowing who he really was, I was struck by a wave of emotion. 

This round of watching has me appreciating Du Sik even more; not that we didn't already love him from the get-go, perfect boyfriend that he was. But I appreciated his backstory more now -- about wanting to run away back to his hometown and living this... other life. About making things simple and paring it down to a manageable day-to-day and a manageable network of people. I just... related so much to it suddenly. Granted he had fears he did not want to confront, but the essence was the same.

You return to this idyllic, dreamy place where all your roots are, and where your heart can rest. And that's what Du Sik did, and Hye Jin subconsciously did, and what we all simulate as we watch this show. The charm of Hometown is taking you away to this dreamy ideal; and then... you wonder, is this you, or the one you left behind you? Like Du Sik: is he the capable handy man and chief of the village, or the smart, high-flying SNU graduate climbing the corporate ladder? Of course, these two appear like opposite extremes, and life does not necessitate you choosing only one option... but I think it does remain a question, and a choice in some manner.

Truth be told, Du Sik reminds me of E (and Hye Jin reminds me of YJ -- but that's a different topic): in that each is capable of virtually anything if they wanted to, but they choose what seems perplexing to others. How was it Hye Jin described it -- a waste of good resources? I personally find it awesome. When else can you use your smarts for awesome things like making a boat or a house or enjoying the sea and the waves.

The seaside town of Gongjin reminds me of my trip to Udo Island (off Jeju) with E last year. I think Korean small towns (and perhaps islands) have this classic look: simple roads along the rocky coasts, simple cafes, and a lighthouse. There's also a roughness with the people, but at the same time, a familiarity? A chumminess and ease maybe.

Anyway, this show is hitting a little different; I've been feeling even more the urge to pause and settle in a small town haha, and awaaaaay from all the things tugging at me. I mentioned to L that maybe I'm reaching a mild burnout. And need deep rest. Not a weekend, not even a month-long holiday. But a quiet year or something, away from everything. Ah well, I can dream. And brainstorm on the real possibilities.

In the meantime, this beautiful song again, "Here Always":


And this funny compilation hahaha

No comments: