Sunday, May 31, 2020

I recently started a Floortime certification course (a one-year-long therapy training on relationship building as a foundation for learning) and we had an orientation session where we introduced ourselves and our professions and what we loved most about our work.

I couldn't articulate it well enough at the time, although I did say something along the lines of being able to make a difference in the child's schooling life and participation as a motivating aspect of my work; but because I've been mulling in the dumps over the past 24 hours it came clearer to me what I love most about my work actually.

It's this moment I sometimes get with a child when he or she finally fully opens up and blooms; this quite exquisite moment you can almost see at times, as a spark in the eyes; they usually start expressing themselves no matter how much they can do so verbally or not -- and it is the most wonderful, wonderful feeling. It's like this moment when you feel they finally get that, hey, it's okay. It's completely safe here, and you can talk to me. This child just becomes happy, simply happy, and accepted, and will tell you a million wonderful things in their little wonderful ways, and they're not thinking about how they're doing or failing or lacking, or how adults are looking at them, or if what they're saying is silly. And typically when this happens, I don't have my therapy goals in mind and I'm just having a real exchange with this child, you know. It feels so good.

Today, it finally crystallised for me, that obviously I crave this in return, or craved this in my childhood past. And it's just so nice to at least be able to give it, in some regular way, in abundance. It's like some weird vengeance-type mission to not have any child feel not-enough. I am sick of people making the world difficult for other people, even if it be in ignorance.


This was partly triggered by this video I'd seen earlier today:


No comments: