Tuesday, November 20, 2018

It feels like I've lost quite a bit of momentum with writing since my trip, and my thoughts haven't begged to be channeled out yet, which I find... unsettling. I'm used to having that need and urge, to... be verbose, and rant on. But maybe it's the maturity and perspective slowly asserting their restraint on my overall person. I have been feeling... fairly contained. Perhaps it's a wonderful reflection of the amount of healing that I've done for my person, and the amount of equanimity and peace I have won, insya Allah.

My thoughts still swirl around, and typically, I still have the habitual I-should-blog-about-that moments; or ideas and reflections that I think should be penned down. But... I don't know. I feel a little different these days.



I did have a dream this week though, that stayed with me. In this dream, over repeated scenarios, I was arguing and desperately trying to bring my point across and convince people of something. I was using words, and debate -- it might have been a courtroom, or a lecture hall at one point. And there were several ladies that were quite mean and condescending, and I felt so angry and oppressed, and feeling very much the futility of my efforts in trying to win the case (whatever it was). At one point, I had got so upset, I was about to cry in front of them, and resort to saying how horrible they were -- but the scene had moved on to my picking up pieces of glass off the floor. The glass pieces seemed to symbolise whatever it was that I was trying to fight for. My dream self had decided that the arguing was pointless and maybe I could do something with those pieces instead. And I remember a couple of friends helping me to pick up the pieces. One friend was someone thoroughly familiar, but the other person who was just diligently picking up the pieces (despite my protesting her help) was someone fairly unexpected and I was surprised when I looked back on the dream, that she had appeared there.

But after a while, it did make sense that she was there. She was one of those people who I'd always thought was more doer than talker; someone I admired who was quietly observant, and would make her point, by being, instead of proposing or talking. And that's what I think my psyche has been trying to move towards. I feel like, it's the natural conclusion for me now, to stop fighting and being somewhat resentful of perceived stupidity or injustice or overall block-headedness in my environment. Instead, just do. Be the change you want to see. A cliche by Gandhi, but it's true isn't it.

The lamenting and the incessant complaining and the theorizing and abstractly figuring things out I've been doing for years (throughout my twenties and perhaps earlier) and being just appalled with the way the world is in many spaces (rightly or not) -- I'm moving on from that now. One can go blue in the face trying to convince people to change their minds about things. I'm done being angry, I think. I hope. Things don't change when you try to convince people of them. You just do them instead. Or you live it.

I'm taking on this motto for my life now:
see something that needs to be worked on? Work on it.
Don't be angry with people; be kind.




If we're going to make true belonging a daily practice in our lives, we're going to need a strong back and a soft front. We'll need both courage and vulnerability as we abandon the certainty and safety of our ideological bunkers and head off into the wilderness.

True belonging is, however, more than strong back and soft front. Once we've found the courage to stand alone, to say what we believe and do what we feel is right despite the criticism and fear, we may leave the wilderness, but the wild has marked our heart. That doesn't mean the wilderness is no longer difficult, it means that once we've braved it on our own, we will be painfully aware of our choices moving forward. We can spend our entire life betraying ourself and choose fitting in over standing alone. But once we've stood up for ourself and our beliefs, the bar is higher. A wild heart fights fitting in and grieves betrayal.

...

A wild heart is awake to the pain in the world, but does not diminish its own pain.
A wild heart can beat with gratitude and lean in to pure joy without denying the struggle in the world.
We hold that tension with the spirit of the wilderness.
It's not always easy or comfortable - sometimes we struggle with the weight of the pull -
but what makes it possible is a front made of love and a back built of courage.

~ Braving The Wilderness, by Brene Brown

No comments: