Wednesday, July 25, 2018

So my night didn't turn out the way I planned; it never does. Ahah!
I need to reduce my triggers/distractions if I want to manage myself better
i.e. restrict the computer screen, S.

I had planned an early night because I was so exhausted I took a cab back home and almost dozed in the car. I'd returned to work today after the long wedding weekend, and packed 5 therapy sessions in 5 separate centers and crap, that was not a good idea. I wasn't even travelling light! I had both my trolley bag and my backpack and was walking under the beating sun, from LRT station to centers and back and forth. By the time 3.30 pm rolled around, I was so tired. I was zoning out in air-con corners. After the last kid, I sucked on an ice-blended and sat at coffee bean for an hour cause I just couldn't and wouldn't move anymore with the crazy weight.


But here I am past a good bedtime once again;
because I had spent almost an hour chatting to J--
she had an SOS and we needed to talk (which derailed all my dinner plans).
And I was thinking, it's great that we have friends that are our counselor hotlines.
Some people have to pay to cry over the phone.
Although I feel like I play the counselor far more frequently and don't use my friend hotline enough.
When I get mad and am about to explode,
I often text E; we do this to each other.
Spam crazy mass texts in the heat of anger or any emotional turmoil--
and then I usually calm when we help each other analyse the crazy explosions that happened.
I openly tell my friends: I need therapy today. Please meet me. And it's free!
I am so thankful that I can do that. That I have friends that I can do that with.
Because not all friends are like that; and not everyone has the luxury of such essential active listeners
and who hopefully have your best interests at heart.

Then later in the night, I had discovered the depths of Oprah -- yes, that famous wonderful lady talkshow host. So apparently, Oprah has a superpower, and I love this adorable thing:



And it's true; I've been in enough courses (a necessary for a therapy-profession) and read enough books (e.g. Empathy, We Need To Talk) to appreciate her skill, scrutinised here in this video:


It is a super skill -- to be able to connect with someone;
and not let your own emotional baggage get in the way.
When you're not comfortable with who you are, 
people will also find it difficult to be comfortable with you.
Jiayou, S, to being a more empathic, loving, and compassionate human!
Oprah is a wonderful example.
What a wonderful, wonderful lady.


---

a separate thing but I've been meaning to post this
(because I've been having a rewatch; and god, this movie has so many quotables!):




Do not try and bend the spoon. That is impossible.
Instead only try to realise the truth.

What truth?

There is no spoon.

There is no spoon?

Then you will see that it is not the spoon that bends.
It is only yourself.

💜

No comments: