Friday, June 08, 2018

There are always times I wonder if I will ever get out of feeling heartbroken.


And then I would wonder if it's ingrained in my personality -- because of my strong Fi and weak Te. As a roll on from the previous post, I've been thinking non-stop about my self (and the people around me) and trying to grapple with my own cognitive functions and biases. Because of my strong Fi (introverted feeling function), I am a hopeless romantic and have a very strong passion for my own ideas and notions and ideals, and it just sets me up for heartbreak again and again and again whenever I square with reality; I lack the Te (extroverted thinking function) that analyses the real world and enables one to navigate it successfully. I am constantly living in resistance to the external world and it takes its toll.

SO, yes, since last year, I've talked incessantly about discipline, and what that is in some sense is having a good Te. A good knowledge of the details of reality and how to make what you want to happen work. I have a gazillion ideas about what should happen (because of my crazy, seriously high Ne function haha), but I can't make half the ideas happen more than half the time.

I am going to make YJ my Te shifu, haha, whether she wants to or not.
She's the closest friend I have who has strong Te --
mostly because strong Te people probably can't stand me and my drifti-ness.
She will be Chiaki to my Nodame! Hahahaha.



Rasulullah s.a.w. said: Speak the truth even though it be bitter.

He s.a.w. also said: Fulfillment is not plenty of goods; rather, it is self-fulfillment.

~ The Content of Character, Ethical Sayings of the Prophet Muhammad s.a.w.


Someone needs to expound on what this self-fulfillment means; does it mean self-actualization? The Arabic words were "ghina an-nafs". I think I've seen other people translate this hadith as Richness is not that of material wealth but richness of the soul. Shaykh Hamza chose to translate richness of the soul as self-fulfillment. Hm.


---


Separate fangirling post:

This is an excellent blog post explaining Outro: Tear, the last song on BTS's Love Yourself: Tear album. And there's this bit in the beginning too, where the author says:

In early works of BTS,  the songs in an album felt like…. collection of interesting short stories in a book.  But now the songs of their albums feel more like chapters in a long novel (or even novel series), bound in a more cohesive way to each other.
Love Yourself:  HER is like that….  There’s a progression of ideas and moods as you listen to the album from beginning to end.  I especially liked the seemingly bright and idealistic feel (with subtle discordant feeling underneath) of the songs at the beginning of the album…that gets more and more dark and double-edged in meaning as the album progresses.
Love Yourself: TEAR is even more cohesive.  The songs start off dark and pessimistic but progressively get brighter this time, only to surprise with the darkness of the Outro: Tear.   The lyrics seem slightly repetitive when you read all the songs together as there are some overlap of the same ideas in multiple songs.  But I guess that’s what you’re supposed to do during what would pass as the “climax” of such a long series – you hammer in the point with varied ways you can explore the main topic of the series.

Yesssss, a 100% yes. This is exactly what it feels like. As the boys have grown into men, the story arc of their music has also matured and deepened and is more amazingly worded. BTS is not just a boyband; they are telling stories, people! That is why they have such a massive following and why I am obsessed (on top of the fact that they bait people with good looks, catchy music, awesome dancing, and adorable personalities and amazing teamwork; presentation is always important, deshou?); because good stories are symbolic and resonate deeply with humans. And I am a book nerd; is there an easier way to bait me?


By the way, Outro: Tear -- please, it is so sad.
You are reinforcing my broken heart, BTS.

Farewell is my tearWithout my knowing, it blooms on the corner of my eyesThe words we could not say in the end, stream downAnd regrets crawl on my face.  
...
Woo take it easy,  cut out the heart slowlyYes yes,  Over the cut pieces,  step on themRegrets, regrets, so that I would not have any such remainingTear into pieces and burn my heart to a crisp 
I must say the biggest reason I’m translating this song is my need to geek out over Suga’s choice of words for “step on.” The terms he used for “step on” is an old Korean word and is not used in normal speech in modern-day.  Most Koreans are very familiar with it though, as it appears in the very well-known poem, “Azaleas” by Kim Sowol. You can read extended meaning of this poem here, and geek out with me too. 
The Korean Azaleas grow wild, often as the first flowers to bloom in spring.  They’re edible too, so kids pick them and eat them.   They’re also baby pink, not the darker reddish pink that Westerners are often familiar with. To “step on” the azaleas in this poem gives the impression of stepping on all the purity, innocence and happiness… an act of cruelty and indifference. Which emphasizes the careless cruelty when used in this song.
Sugaaaaa, so brutal but poetic. 💔

No comments: