Wednesday, October 18, 2017

spoilers! for Peaky Blinders Season 3



I don't know that it's right; it probably isn't -- but what I end up doing when pain, existential pain, heartaches, beset me, is to eventually return to stories; and I typically feel at least a little restored. I am well-aware I should probably do a page of the Qura'an perhaps, do some zikr or remembrance of God; and at some instances, I think I unconsciously do. But it is through stories and then when I write here in reflection of those stories, that I feel nicely-purged of whatever emotional poison I feel sits somewhere in my chest.

It is stories that show us that our pains are not unique, that life gets to the best of people -- in fact, the worst of life gets to the best of people, it appears at times. That great character builds with pain and difficult crossroads, and that though some or most of these characters are fiction, it's perhaps not impossible that you could aspire to some similar level of greatness, that maybe you don't have to be hopeless, that the minute level of pain you encounter in life can be overcome so that you can be someone worthy of your own love and admiration.

The older I get, the more I've come to appreciate art in its varied forms; yes, still as entertainment, but more, as an expression of all of life's subtle or not-so-subtle difficulties and accompanying beauty.


I'm not sure how I segued into that, but I was appreciating this wonderful actor, who is making me keep watching Peaky Blinders although the Season 3 plot has lost its pull on me a little. Not to mention that an important character dies, and an-already-damaged Tommy Shelby does not need that lah, come on... haha. Can't we have some fairytale in fiction, please. I mean, seriously, if Philippa had died, can you imagine what would have happened to Lymond? I don't even want to imagine the pain he would feel, on top of the fact that he would probably blame himself for it.


But to get back: kudos to Cillian Murphy who plays Tommy Shelby so plausibly and convincingly, 
I am still buying him as my damaged hero/protagonist. True artists are to be appreciated.

No comments: