Monday, March 20, 2017

finding your tribe

In The Element, Ken Robinson talks a lot on the necessity of finding people of your same ilk, of your tribe, that then energizes you to achieve your dreams. Without this, it can get really difficult.


Finding your tribe can have transformative effects on your sense of identity and purpose. This is because of three powerful tribal dynamics: validation, inspiration, and what we’ll call here the "alchemy of synergy". 


The combination of creative energies and the need to perform at the highest level to keep up with peers leads to an otherwise unattainable commitment to excellence. This is the alchemy of synergy. 


When I was reading, I couldn't help but think of my favourite boy bands (i.e. Arashi, BTS), because more than any other apparent example I have access to, they showcase that importance of having a tribe. I remember Sho saying, literally, how he felt that he needed to do better because he saw how everyone else in Arashi was working so hard. They kept pushing each other to greater limits, that together, they were an unbelievable force.

I'm sure some real-life sports teams are like this too -- but because I have practically zero knowledge of sports, I don't have a reference point from there.

With respect to my own life, the closest I've come to that feeling of a tribe (and insya Allah, my future tribe can perhaps grow from there still) -- is my NUS SLP class. The dynamics were so wonderful; everybody in that class, I felt, had such personal yet meaningful paths that led to the same point. There was an overall sense of purpose, and passion, and kindness, that I deeply miss. It's hard to put into words. It's an intangible chemistry, really -- or what Ken Robinson termed above the alchemy of synergy. And when you have chemistry, nothing beats it. It's energizing, thrilling, electrifying.

It's amazing enough to find it in one other person: what people like to term your soulmate, or your BFF. But to find kindred souls in a tribe? Wow.


Guys
Arashi is 18 years old this year, 
ohmygoddddd.






Fans love to dub BTS OT7 
-- because instead of a One True Pairing (OTP), 
you have 7 kindred souls, ahah.




Teamwork makes the dream work.

No comments: